HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Bug reporting

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Help Desk

• Posted By: glen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Bug reporting
    Is there still some place to report bugs?
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "glen":  

Is there still some place to report bugs?

Anywhere munk sees. Chat, smail to munk, forums ...
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

yeah, the bug reporting system was kind of designed to be punitive on a level that's not really useful or wanted anymore, so I disabled it. Bugs should just go in the forums or smailed to me.
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I used a trade pump that sucked 1,000 trades, but only produced 33 trade hypos.

In the past, I usually got enough hypos to match the trades that got sucked. But 33 hypos is about 300 trades. Did something change, or was it bad rng?

Quote "grimdel":  

I used a trade pump that sucked 1,000 trades, but only produced 33 trade hypos.

In the past, I usually got enough hypos to match the trades that got sucked. But 33 hypos is about 300 trades. Did something change, or was it bad rng?

RNG

I don't even use trade pumps anymore. None of the mandatory pumps in my 16 dimits gave back acceptable amount of hypos, and I already had tons of tradexp for the last few ones.

My only good use for pumps is to sell them.

I used to hoard tradepumps for days when we didnt make ore donations, and couldnt find a decent trade - then you just store the trades w/ the pumps. Guess thats not viable anymore
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

have only used like 1 this cycle, all my trades get used daily

Quote "grimdel":  

I used to hoard tradepumps for days when we didnt make ore donations, and couldnt find a decent trade - then you just store the trades w/ the pumps. Guess thats not viable anymore

really wouldn't be viable unless both the hypos and the pumps returned a fixed number of trades.

My calc gives me a 40% yield. Not so good.

Quote "glen":  

The preference would be to remove RNG then? Maybe something worth polling?
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I like them the way they are.
  • Posted By: zydecopolka  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "glen":  

A poll can't hurt anything, and you're not bound by it. You own the gmae and let us play it. I'm sure everyone understands there needs to be a balance between fun and mechanics, no one wants to play a game so easy a monkey could do it, and no one wants to play a game so hard you need to be a physicist to win.

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Quote "munk":  

Quote "glen":  

A poll can't hurt anything, and you're not bound by it. You own the gmae and let us play it. I'm sure everyone understands there needs to be a balance between fun and mechanics, no one wants to play a game so easy a monkey could do it, and no one wants to play a game so hard you need to be a physicist to win.

now I just need a monkey Physicist to start playing and watch the hilarity unfold!

A average yield of 60-75% would make them more useful.

Space Lunchboxes give non-edible Whisker Biscuits.

Hardie har-har...

Quote "grimdel":  

Space Lunchboxes give non-edible Whisker Biscuits.

Hardie har-har...

They are edible the sputnicians.

Wad of Tin Foil is edible?!?
  • Posted By: Vonbek  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

it has delicious sparkly flavor... ummmmm... it is like seeing lights with your teeth!

Quote "grimdel":  

Wad of Tin Foil is edible?!?

especially sprinkled with Malcolm's ashes....mmmmmmm
  • Posted By: McFeisty  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Lodgemaster keeps telling me to go to Vagin Island...

Oh, well, at least I found this when looking for it:

The Village of the Little Green Men.

You walk up to the main hall of this quaint Martian native village, and encounter the Mayor of the Little Green Men.

"Oh, it's wonderful to see outsiders again, after so many months! As you can see, we have made much progress since your kind freed us from the Incans and Mayans earlier this year. We have rebuilt our village and settled back into our traditional occupations. Life is generally good to us now!"

After he says this, he seems to remember something tragic and looks downcast.

"Not everything has been good, I guess. We've been under attack by the Ookats of the Forest of Oo lately, every night, actually. It's been tough for us to fight them off, and we really don't know why they're so mad at us. We usually have very good relations with them. It seems like this started when the alien Hjeshuns landed on the far side of the Marshole last month. Those creeps have been hassling us too, lately. We have no problem holding them off, though. It's the Ookats that we would like to get back on good terms with. Can you help us out?"

You agree to help the LGM out with their relations with the Ookats, and ask for more details.

"Well, what we know is that the Ookats attack us at night, and we can't go to the Forest of Oo at all. Anyone we send there gets attacked. Probably the best place to start is with the Hjeshuns. It seems obvious that there's some connection between them and the rising anger of the Ookats."

Quote "McFeisty":  

Lodgemaster keeps telling me to go to Vagin Island...

Oh, well, at least I found this when looking for it:

The Village of the Little Green Men.

You walk up to the main hall of this quaint Martian native village, and encounter the Mayor of the Little Green Men.

"Oh, it's wonderful to see outsiders again, after so many months! As you can see, we have made much progress since your kind freed us from the Incans and Mayans earlier this year. We have rebuilt our village and settled back into our traditional occupations. Life is generally good to us now!"

After he says this, he seems to remember something tragic and looks downcast.

"Not everything has been good, I guess. We've been under attack by the Ookats of the Forest of Oo lately, every night, actually. It's been tough for us to fight them off, and we really don't know why they're so mad at us. We usually have very good relations with them. It seems like this started when the alien Hjeshuns landed on the far side of the Marshole last month. Those creeps have been hassling us too, lately. We have no problem holding them off, though. It's the Ookats that we would like to get back on good terms with. Can you help us out?"

You agree to help the LGM out with their relations with the Ookats, and ask for more details.

"Well, what we know is that the Ookats attack us at night, and we can't go to the Forest of Oo at all. Anyone we send there gets attacked. Probably the best place to start is with the Hjeshuns. It seems obvious that there's some connection between them and the rising anger of the Ookats."

Not sure what you're asking. Eroticon 69 is undergoing construction and is not related to the Mars holiday content.

I know Eroticon69's not there. I was wondering why the Lodgemaster keeps telling me to go there. Seemed like a bug. You could comment it out for the time being, perhaps?

Mars content's not a bug, right, but I was talking about the planet that isn't there, and that led to the other planet I found while 'looking for it' - maybe my sense of humor isn't so easy to get.

Ah - you weren't reporting a bug, just a funny coincidence/happenstance between two separate events?

If you found Mars by chance, it was lucky for you - it was only there for the 4th of july holiday. Its folded into the adjacent universe till the next Mars relate holiday. Hope you finished the holiday quest for a nod on your profile.

Anywho - the Eroticon69 hint with the lodgemaster - its been there all cycle - maybe you didnt notice it before? Planet is gone, but the hint is still there...

I just noticed -> Databuddy says the Space Trucker is located on Xiao MeiMei, at 'Super Giant Mega Market'. Shouldnt it say 'SanFran Chitown'?

Quote "grimdel":  

I just noticed -> Databuddy says the Space Trucker is located on Xiao MeiMei, at 'Super Giant Mega Market'. Shouldnt it say 'SanFran Chitown'?

Why should it say that if it (at least as far as I can see) isn't true, at least as far as regular mob encounters go.

SanFran Chitown is how it's labeled on planet map (and the location dropdown below the top menu), but its real name is Super Giant Mega Market.
    There are a few other places like that, with more than one name.

Quote "xKiv":  

SanFran Chitown is how it's labeled on planet map (and the location dropdown below the top menu), but its real name is Super Giant Mega Market.
    There are a few other places like that, with more than one name.

well, line 'em up and we'll ponder if there was some thematic reason other than the desire to avoid really long place names in the menu. I suspect they'll kind of follow a "specific place within an area" logic.

Quote "munk":  

well, line 'em up

Hmm, let's see ...
    (omitting places where all 3 names are the same, shops, and planets where nothing applicable is left)

(map - menu - databuddy)

* Boria
    Borian Caps Forces HQ - Borian Caps Military HQ - Caps Force Headquarters
    Borian Masks Forces HQ - Borian Masks Military HQ - Masks Force Headquarters
    Headwear Wars Battlefield - same as $databuddy - Holy Headwear Wars Battle Front

* Earth
    Popsickle Lodge - same as $map - Earthside Popsickle Lodge
    Agricultural Bubble - Earth's Agricultural Bubble - Earth Agricultural Bubble
    Galactic INS Office - same as $map - Galactic Immigration and Naturalization Service Offic

* Hedrol
    Fields of Barley - same as $databuddy - The Fields of Barley

*Laxloo
    Laxloo Lodge - same as $map - Laxloovian Lodge

*New Ceylon
    New Ceylon Virtual Lodge and Lounge - Virtual Lodge and Lounge - same as $map

*Nortonia
    Emperor Jim Norton University - same as $map - Norton University Classroom

*Pharma
    Agricultural Level - same as $databuddy - Pharma Agricultural Level
    Research Level - same as $databuddy - Pharma Research Level
    Pharma Employees Union Lodge and Lounge - Pharma Lodge - same as $map

*Solaris
    Sunflower Fields - The Sunflower Fields - same as $map
    Sunny Sushi Chef School - The Sunny Sushi Chef School - same as $map

*Tranquility
    Tranquility Lodge - same as $map - Tranquil Lodge

*Trinoc
    ACME, Inc. Corporate HQ - ACME, Inc. HQ - Acme, Inc. Corporate HQ // note the upper/lower casing change on ACME between map and databuddy
    Mystical Movements Colonic Center - Mystical Movements - same as $map
    Sweatshop - same as $map - The Sweatshop
    Trader Ghuknig Corporate HQ - Trader Ghuknig's HQ - same as $map

*Xiao
    Chi Chitown - same as $map - Chi Chitown Main Street
    ? - ? - JiJu Quing Kong Bar
    SanFran Chitown - same as $map - Super Giant Mega Market
    NyaCity Chitown - same as $map - The Mean Streets of NyaCity

do you find these confusing?

Mostly just un-neat.

Quote "munk":  

JiJu Quing Kong Bar -> which zone is that?

Quote "grimdel":  

Quote "munk":  

JiJu Quing Kong Bar -> which zone is that?

an incomplete/inactive one.
  • Posted By: Schmurrr  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I switched from Acme Red Rocket Boots to Acme Swift Yellow Powerup Boots while in space and breached my suit. This was not problematic before. :)

Quote "Schmurrr":  

I switched from Acme Red Rocket Boots to Acme Swift Yellow Powerup Boots while in space and breached my suit. This was not problematic before. :)

You sure you were changing into a proper suit? I change suits in space all the time and you'll only breach if you're in space and your "suit spaceworthiness" is 0 at the end of the change.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

The trade suit is red rocket boots only, so if you switch to powerups you gotta change the gloves out too

Quote "munk":  

Quote "Schmurrr":  

You sure you were changing into a proper suit? I change suits in space all the time and you'll only breach if you're in space and your "suit spaceworthiness" is 0 at the end of the change.

Yes. I could not blast off either. As crash noted, I had to replace my gloves as well in order to remain spaceworthy.

Just to be clear:
    You are saying "never before had I the incentive to switch my equipment in a way that, when executed per partes, would breach my containment"?

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "munk":  

well, line 'em up

Hmm, let's see ...
    (omitting places where all 3 names are the same, shops, and planets where nothing applicable is left)

(map - menu - databuddy)

* Boria
    Borian Caps Forces HQ - Borian Caps Military HQ - Caps Force Headquarters
    Borian Masks Forces HQ - Borian Masks Military HQ - Masks Force Headquarters
    Headwear Wars Battlefield - same as $databuddy - Holy Headwear Wars Battle Front

* Earth
    Popsickle Lodge - same as $map - Earthside Popsickle Lodge
    Agricultural Bubble - Earth's Agricultural Bubble - Earth Agricultural Bubble
    Galactic INS Office - same as $map - Galactic Immigration and Naturalization Service Offic

* Hedrol
    Fields of Barley - same as $databuddy - The Fields of Barley

*Laxloo
    Laxloo Lodge - same as $map - Laxloovian Lodge

*New Ceylon
    New Ceylon Virtual Lodge and Lounge - Virtual Lodge and Lounge - same as $map

*Nortonia
    Emperor Jim Norton University - same as $map - Norton University Classroom

*Pharma
    Agricultural Level - same as $databuddy - Pharma Agricultural Level
    Research Level - same as $databuddy - Pharma Research Level
    Pharma Employees Union Lodge and Lounge - Pharma Lodge - same as $map

*Solaris
    Sunflower Fields - The Sunflower Fields - same as $map
    Sunny Sushi Chef School - The Sunny Sushi Chef School - same as $map

*Tranquility
    Tranquility Lodge - same as $map - Tranquil Lodge

*Trinoc
    ACME, Inc. Corporate HQ - ACME, Inc. HQ - Acme, Inc. Corporate HQ // note the upper/lower casing change on ACME between map and databuddy
    Mystical Movements Colonic Center - Mystical Movements - same as $map
    Sweatshop - same as $map - The Sweatshop
    Trader Ghuknig Corporate HQ - Trader Ghuknig's HQ - same as $map

*Xiao
    Chi Chitown - same as $map - Chi Chitown Main Street
    ? - ? - JiJu Quing Kong Bar
    SanFran Chitown - same as $map - Super Giant Mega Market
    NyaCity Chitown - same as $map - The Mean Streets of NyaCity

It seems that it really is only specific to Xio Mei Mei. the others are just missing 'the' or slight change while Xio looks like it took the places and made them adventurous, trying to give you a feeling that you were somewhere specific.

Quote "Salen":  

It seems that it really is only specific to Xio Mei Mei. the others are just missing 'the' or slight change while Xio looks like it took the places and made them adventurous, trying to give you a feeling that you were somewhere specific.

Well, and Nortonia (classrooms).

Also, not counting expansions (like "the" or spelling out IGN, ...), there are some ... irregularities:
    Boria: force(s) vs. military (and a "almost not shortening": borian HQ vs. Headquarters)
    Earth: -/Earth/Earth's (for ag bubble)
    Trinoc: ACME vs. Acme, Ghuknik vs. Ghuknik's - lawyers would have field century with these, probably

Lodges:
    "Earthside" in popsickle lodge (why? no other lodges are "popsickle")
    Laxloo[vian] lodge
    Tranquil[ity] lodge
    (NC and pharma lodges are straight shortening)

Quote "xKiv":  

Just to be clear:
    You are saying "never before had I the incentive to switch my equipment in a way that, when executed per partes, would breach my containment"?

Me? No.

I'm saying that, if my suit is otherwise spaceworthy, why is switching from the red boots to the yellow boots resulting in a breach?
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Schmurrr":  

I'm saying that, if my suit is otherwise spaceworthy, why is switching from the red boots to the yellow boots resulting in a breach?

Because the yellow boots are only spaceworthy with the battlesuit. The red boots are spaceworthy with the battlesuit AND the sexy space trader outfit.

The yellow boots do not form a part of the sexy space trader outfit. Ergo, when you switch directly from the red boots when worn as a part of the sexy space trader outfit to the yellow boots, you breach that special spaceworthy combination and end up with a non spaceworthy suit.

Therefore, before you switch to your yellow boots, switch to your battlesuit or whatever your "combat" suit is. Or well, any suit that is spaceworthy with the yellow boots. Because the sexy suit isn't.

Protip - Custom saved outfits rock.

Quote "Schmurrr":  

Me? No.

It's no longer interfacing properly?
    The complete ACME shirt+gloves+pants combo can contain you no matter what boots (or hat) you have.
    Switch out one of those, and you need something else to work together. Red boots can work with green gloves. Yellow boots would probably work with magenta shirt or cyan pants or something.
  • Posted By: Squiffle  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Schmurrr":  

Quote "xKiv":  

Just to be clear:

Me? No.

Did you try turning your suit off and back on again ?

On my equip page, under 'magical effects' it says:

"+2 Turns/hr for 43 hours.
    +50 Trades/hr for 43 hours."

I would guess thats meant for the epeen magical wands, but I haven't used any lately. Can someone bestow those effects on you? (and if so, should I have gotten a message or notice?)

Quote "grimdel":  

On my equip page, under 'magical effects' it says:

"+2 Turns/hr for 43 hours.
    +50 Trades/hr for 43 hours."

I would guess thats meant for the epeen magical wands, but I haven't used any lately. Can someone bestow those effects on you? (and if so, should I have gotten a message or notice?)

You recently donated.

ETA:
    well, you either donated $10 57 hours ago,
    or $20 167 hours ago,
    or $50 517 hours ago,
    or $100 1157 hours ago

http://www.secretsocietywars.com/index.php?p=forums&a=show_replies&topic_id=36685 happened about 672 hours ago, so we can rule out the last one

kewl - didn't know there was another benefit to donating - thanks Munk :)

So this am I've been having problems with the pages loading on SSW. I've tried firefox, and microsoft edge each does the same thing. I click on something and then it just spins trying to load. It actually goes through, but my page never refreshes. I have to close the browser then open it back up and relog in. Ive restarted my computer and everything, not sure if it's maintenance issues or just my stuff. anyone having other issues?
  • Posted By: TFwO  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

i'm having the same issues on chrome.

I am *currently* having bouts of "anything on ssw takes an extremely long time to load", but everything *eventually* loads ...

I see from my mail today we got DDOS'd but it seems to be ok now.

Still happening as of a few minutes ago. Guessing "ok" is relative?

Quote "zydecopolka":  

got a trouble ticket in, CPU is locking up periodically. working on it. (:

Quote "munk":  

Quote "zydecopolka":  

got a trouble ticket in, CPU is locking up periodically. working on it. (:

oh thank god it's not me! I always worry that I messed my computer up :) thanks munk you rock

<redacted>
    <unredacted>
    <reredacted>

***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #164***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #165***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #197***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #198***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #231***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #264***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #297***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #329***
    ***LOST ALL 100 drones at sector #330***

I was wondering if drone decay was in place? I had the above sectors, and the entry/exit points. Someone was able to clear these, bypassing the entry/exit sectors. I was wondering how that was possible?

Alternatively ... what happens if somebody with a lot of drones enters an aligned sector (with fewer drones) and then changes color (by trading, for example)?

Quote "xKiv":  

Alternatively ... what happens if somebody with a lot of drones enters an aligned sector (with fewer drones) and then changes color (by trading, for example)?

Nothing happens until rollover, at which time you are recalled to earth first before being stripped of your alignment.

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Quote "xKiv":  

Nothing happens until rollover, at which time you are recalled to earth first before being stripped of your alignment.

The drones don't interact at all? Wouldn't they fight, at the lastes, as soon as you display the sector again?

the answer is "you don't change color until roll - you *lean*".

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Quote "xKiv":  

The drones don't interact at all? Wouldn't they fight, at the lastes, as soon as you display the sector again?

Nope, they do not. Just like you can't deploy drones and then change societies to change the coverage.

When the rollover comes, it checks if your society has changed, and if so, you're pulled from space, along with all your drones, without having a chance to attack/interact with anything they might have been out with.

Quote "grimdel":  

I was wondering if drone decay was in place? I had the above sectors, and the entry/exit points. Someone was able to clear these, bypassing the entry/exit sectors. I was wondering how that was possible?

no drone decay.

I'm looking at the area now and see no blocked entry point. Probably you're not taking into account something you couldn't see.

So ... nobody changed color from blue, nobody ploughed through 230 or 328 (they would have to replace killed drones with *my* drones), there were blue drones on all sectors in that tunnel, there are no other exits from that tunnel (I think I would have noticed them), nobody can gain drone awareness while in space, nobody can start killing drones of the color that they started the day in, no drones just vanished, I am trusting grimdel didn't pick them up ...
    ... what?
    Can black holes teleport into enemy territtory?
    Or being defeated in pvp?
    Can somebody on their first dimit receive drones by smail?

(in case you didn't know, those setors were green, not blue, when grimdel asked)

Quote "xKiv":  

So ... nobody changed color from blue, nobody ploughed through 230 or 328 (they would have to replace killed drones with *my* drones), there were blue drones on all sectors in that tunnel, there are no other exits from that tunnel (I think I would have noticed them), nobody can gain drone awareness while in space, nobody can start killing drones of the color that they started the day in, no drones just vanished, I am trusting grimdel didn't pick them up ...
    ... what?
    Can black holes teleport into enemy territtory?
    Or being defeated in pvp?
    Can somebody on their first dimit receive drones by smail?

(in case you didn't know, those setors were green, not blue, when grimdel asked)

What I'm saying is that regardless of what the situation looked like when he asked, nobody knows the situation when the action happened. I do not believe there is any situation where you can teleport within a blocked area. Perhaps we should ask the person that did it?

thats a thought - can you send a popsicle thats <33rd degree some drones while they are in space? and would those drones interact with deployed drones in that sector (or the next sector he moves to)?

yeah I don't see any holes they may have missed. If 229 was blocked and the toher end was too then its a mystery. have you checked those? ( I assume you have)

Quote "grimdel":  

thats <33rd degree

Nit: drone awareness is now at level 30, iirc.

It was me. I got kicked out of earth at rollover. It seems I was in an empty sector. Maybe someone bumped into it last night?

Quote "glen":  

It was me. I got kicked out of earth at rollover. It seems I was in an empty sector. Maybe someone bumped into it last night?

so you got kicked out of earth orbit into an empty sector inside that corridor? some details to clarify:
    1) Did you get any kind of drone fight message?
    2) did you have drones on you?
    3) were there adjacent empty sectors?

I ask, because the sector would *have* to have been empty for the earth-boot process to drop you there. It only selects sectors that don't have drones in them, which is why it usually kicks you to another planet - those are usually the only open sectors lately.

Maybe relevant - I have been seeing sectors that looked like somebody's drones just "mysteriously" disappeared. Not often, just a few times so far.

Quote "xKiv":  

Maybe relevant - I have been seeing sectors that looked like somebody's drones just "mysteriously" disappeared. Not often, just a few times so far.

I've suspected the same thing a time or two... and taken advantage of such as well.

this is all sounding very anecdotal. Has anyone actually *themselves* experienced unexplained drone loss, or is this just people forgetting to shut off their drone pick-up scripts? I ask because there really isn't anything that runs and affects the drone table counts *except* drone warfare. There are no maintenance scripts that touch it, except the society change check at roll.

If what's happening is that people are drifting societies and accidentally leaving sectors uncovered, well, them's the breaks. That's how it works. (:

In my case - I dont know how Glen was able to get into that corridor - at the time, I was pretty sure i had drones in each sector of that corredor. I don't have any auto-drone pickup scripts (no auto-drone scripts at all), so am a little puzzled as to what happened...

Quote "grimdel":  

In my case - I dont know how Glen was able to get into that corridor - at the time, I was pretty sure i had drones in each sector of that corredor. I don't have any auto-drone pickup scripts (no auto-drone scripts at all), so am a little puzzled as to what happened...

well, ok. I double-checked and it turns out I misremembered. It *is* possible to be ejected into a sector containing enemy drones by camping with weapons around Earth, and apparently this has always been the case. Or I should say it *was* possible. It is now no longer possible.

Mystery solved. Glen got ejected into your corridor, then woke up to a drone fight he didn't even see happen. Thus he thought the sector was empty. (:

In conclusion, I win battles in my sleep.

*shaking fist at sky* GLEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!

Quote "grimdel":  

hey its not my name for once

Quote "Salen":  

Quote "grimdel":  

's a "len" too

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "Salen":  

Quote "grimdel":  

's a "len" too

just be glad Galen isn't around...

Did luck consumables (wishbones, clovers, rabbits feet) change recently? I noticed they're only giving 1 luck a piece now...

Quote "grimdel":  

Did luck consumables (wishbones, clovers, rabbits feet) change recently? I noticed they're only giving 1 luck a piece now...

They progressively get less and less at 10k, 30k, 50k, and then at 70k they are only worth 1. There are spaded values in one of the spading syndicates.
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

The new posts in forum notification shows up for me on the home page, and the announcements section is lit up, but when I click on it there are no new announcements and it will not go away.

Quote "BabylonHoruv":  

The new posts in forum notification shows up for me on the home page, and the announcements section is lit up, but when I click on it there are no new announcements and it will not go away.

yeah, there's a second announcement. find it and read it or click the [x] next to the new forum post notification.

ixnay - mixing buy vs sell - nothign to see here
  • Posted By: Igneousnoodles  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Not sure if it's the time away from the game and I forgot what to do but I can't wash my hands after pooping and pissing in the casino for degree 18. It just says hands are clean and the Lodgemaster says I haven't washed my hands. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I figured I'd put it out there since I seem to be at an impasse.

Quote "Igneousnoodles":  

Not sure if it's the time away from the game and I forgot what to do but I can't wash my hands after pooping and pissing in the casino for degree 18. It just says hands are clean and the Lodgemaster says I haven't washed my hands. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but I figured I'd put it out there since I seem to be at an impasse.

did you wash your hands *before* you got the quest? (:

(if so, you can wait till roll clears it.)

Update:
    hmmn, wait - I see your daily flag for the restroom has 0 handwashings:
    [restroom] => Array
    (
    [number1] => 1
    [number2] => 1
    [number3] => 0
    [wash] => 0
    )

so you *should* be able to wash. it's been working for people so far. try it again and I'll look at the code and see if anything jumps out. Your data looks fine, though.

Update again:
    I just checked the bathroom, and I don't think the "wash hands" option is on a limit. I just washed my hands a few times and the button doesn't go away until I'm at 100% health. Maybe you should wash your hands after getting beat up a little. (get your hands dirty, iykwim) (:

You give a passing glance to your gleaming paws and realise that they are already quite clean.

Just did - my hands are absolutely covered in piss and shit but no dice.

Quote "Igneousnoodles":  

You give a passing glance to your gleaming paws and realise that they are already quite clean.

Just did - my hands are absolutely covered in piss and shit but no dice.

you have to be at less than 100% health. I figured it out (:

good on you, sir - sorry for taking up your valuable time Cool!

Just curious - I could have sworn that Emperor Norton used to send out turkey sandwiches on Thanksgiving, but nada today.

Maybe the Emperor is really dead this time?

Quote "grimdel":  

Just curious - I could have sworn that Emperor Norton used to send out turkey sandwiches on Thanksgiving, but nada today.

Maybe the Emperor is really dead this time?

well, the fullness overeating effect is working at least. (:

Rollover didn't happen last night. Did all our spacebanging break the universe? ;_;

Yes, everything is being reported as "already used up ALL the uses today ..." ...

ok who broke it!?

Quote "Salen":  

ok who broke it!?

Brokey McBrokeface?

Quote "grimdel":  

Quote "Salen":  

ok who broke it!?

Brokey McBrokeface?

That sneaky little bastard! I just *knew* it was him! I am invisible like a NINJA!

not only no rollover, the forum posts aren't showing a "new" flag. Curious..

hmmn, cron jobs are all still there. I'll have to let it run tonight in debug mode.

huh, maybe it's our imaginations. Rollover went ok, and my daily flags were cleared. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Anyone still having an issue?

Quote "munk":  

huh, maybe it's our imaginations. Rollover went ok, and my daily flags were cleared. Doesn't seem to be anything wrong. Anyone still having an issue?

It could be, except, I don't have an imagination. Everything does seem to be fine now though! Hats off to debug mode?

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Quote "munk":  

It could be, except, I don't have an imagination. Everything does seem to be fine now though! Hats off to debug mode?

heh, no. I didn't touch a thing last night. I'm old so I went to bed instead, and let the Random Chaos Pixies that come out at night deal with it. :D

My kudos and thanks to the Random Chaos Pixies, then. Wouldn't want to anger them with ingratitude ^_^
  • Posted By: Langers  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

(Langers comes-to, following a three-day absinthe-marinated mushr00m fueled dogging bender)

Ho! Ho! Sorry, 'bout that folks. I aughtta know better than to go down the Copse Of The DeathCap before the Spring Moon.

(Attempts to replace his cork, but it crumbles to dust)

Ding-dong-dang dem pixies! I'm 'a gonna have'ta find me some stronger magiks.

Degree 14/15 quest -> Norton maze to get electronic boards: the maze restarter doesnt give you the 'Are you sure?' popup that the other mazes give - it just teleports you right away.

Yipikaitain outfit miniquest: he asked for a 'not quite a bear' outfit. First time, I said 'no'. Then I went back and said 'yes'. He gave me the battle tokens & booze, but I still have the outfit - I only had one hoodie & orange pants, and I still have the entire outfit.

Bug or did you change the quest?

Quote "grimdel":  

Yipikaitain outfit miniquest: he asked for a 'not quite a bear' outfit. First time, I said 'no'. Then I went back and said 'yes'. He gave me the battle tokens & booze, but I still have the outfit - I only had one hoodie & orange pants, and I still have the entire outfit.

Bug or did you change the quest?

replicate & screenshot?

Quote "munk":  

replicate & screenshot?

Hm... can't -> it asked me for the same outfit today, and this time it took the outfit - my single instances of hoodie & pants are gone. maybe it was just a fluke.

The only thing different I can think of is that I had just hit 33rd the day it happened...

Quote "grimdel":  

Quote "munk":  

replicate & screenshot?

Hm... can't -> it asked me for the same outfit today, and this time it took the outfit - my single instances of hoodie & pants are gone. maybe it was just a fluke.

The only thing different I can think of is that I had just hit 33rd the day it happened...

yeah, it didn't seem likely when I read the code. One has to happen or the other won't. (:

At Lucky Spaceman, Rat shack, I fought an 'Amaranthine Agent' who had an Oddfellow icon next to him - quirk?

Quote "grimdel":  

At Lucky Spaceman, Rat shack, I fought an 'Amaranthine Agent' who had an Oddfellow icon next to him - quirk?

quirk. (:

Quote "grimdel":  

heh, I've actually been considering adding a routine in the rollover that would randomize the mob orientations each day.

Quote "munk":  

heh, I've actually been considering adding a routine in the rollover that would randomize the mob orientations each day.

That would make for an interesting run to 33rd...

Quote "grimdel":  

Quote "munk":  

That would make for an interesting run to 33rd...

Interesting? Really? I thought it would just be mean. Who has that much real world time?

Quote "munk":  

Quote "grimdel":  

would this help steady the wildly swinging UA that we've seen lately?

Quote "Salen":  

Quote "munk":  

Quote "grimdel":  

Probably not - that's just domination.

Quote "Salen":  

mainly it would eliminate whatever natural bias towards certain alignments the path through the quests cause, plus make is quite a bit more difficult to farm mobs for concentrated power so quickly, as the standard "powerfarming zones" would be diluted and randomized daily. I feel that vector of victory should be disincentivized mechanically.
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "Salen":  

mainly it would eliminate whatever natural bias towards certain alignments the path through the quests cause, plus make is quite a bit more difficult to farm mobs for concentrated power so quickly, as the standard "powerfarming zones" would be diluted and randomized daily. I feel that vector of victory should be disincentivized mechanically.

I think that'd be good. Off the top of my head, I know there are two locations (Yeehawdis and Robodolphin Rodeo) that require a lot of grinding and are heavily biased towards one alignment, although Robodolphin's not as bad now that the security shark is there.

acme repeller works great on security sharks.

Rodeo is quite fine mixing combat and sexor .... also source of rubber that way.

Quote "Rickton":  

I think that'd be good.

well, let's see if it works then :D
    EDIT: Ell, the test worked, anyway.

Quote "Rickton":  

I think that'd be good. Off the top of my head, I know there are two locations (Yeehawdis and Robodolphin Rodeo) that require a lot of grinding and are heavily biased towards one alignment, although Robodolphin's not as bad now that the security shark is there.

I tend to go oddfellow because of the amount of time i spend in xiao grinding in sanfran. almost everything is triad.

as a followup, the society-identified NPC "Agents" have all been recalled from the field, to be pulped and fed to doppelpet hatchlings. Good riddance to them.

Quote "munk":  

as a followup, the society-identified NPC "Agents" have all been recalled from the field, to be pulped and fed to doppelpet hatchlings. Good riddance to them.

good riddance, I could never get their outfits to drop anyway

Quote "grimdel":  

Quote "Rickton":  

I tend to go oddfellow because of the amount of time i spend in xiao grinding in sanfran. almost everything is triad.

I just don't understand this. I just fought someone in Sanfran, and got evil and order, a lot of it. I cannot fight anyone, currently, and get anything other than evil and order. I made it to Oddfellow mainly by trading, and now I can only converse mobs, or I will go Triad again. No idea how so many people got to be Oddfellow just by fighting, honestly.

Quote "McFeisty":  

I just don't understand this. I just fought someone in Sanfran, and got evil and order, a lot of it. I cannot fight anyone, currently, and get anything other than evil and order. I made it to Oddfellow mainly by trading, and now I can only converse mobs, or I will go Triad again. No idea how so many people got to be Oddfellow just by fighting, honestly.

There are two ways.
    Before first dimit, UA now has no effect. So people going through for their first time (in the cycle) don't get those massive amounts of GEOC, and can correct their course relatively easily.
    On futher dimits, fight only what needs to be fought. Converse/sexor everything else (sexor might even be safer, especially if you have a sexy-enough costume. Society uniforms are relatively good. Amaranth uniform and body condom are best.). Course correct with trading, psp, and ahnuld.
    At 33, don't bother fighting anything except for daily quests (that means LSD).

It gets more complicated if you don't want UA or anti-UA, but one of the other alignments.

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "McFeisty":  

There are two ways.
    Before first dimit, UA now has no effect. So people going through for their first time (in the cycle) don't get those massive amounts of GEOC, and can correct their course relatively easily.
    On futher dimits, fight only what needs to be fought. Converse/sexor everything else (sexor might even be safer, especially if you have a sexy-enough costume. Society uniforms are relatively good. Amaranth uniform and body condom are best.). Course correct with trading, psp, and ahnuld.
    At 33, don't bother fighting anything except for daily quests (that means LSD).

It gets more complicated if you don't want UA or anti-UA, but one of the other alignments.

This is my second run-through, after dimiting, and it was similar before dimiting. Maybe I got less evil and order, but still, that is what I was getting.

I do understand how to control it now, what I didn't understand was anyone saying they went Oddie from fighting in SanFran, since no matter that the alignment of the mob is, I only get evil and order, leading to Triad. Am I playing a different game here? Is there some reason others get something other than I get when fighting? Or maybe they didn't fight, they only conversed/sexored (word used was 'grind')?

Moot now, I imagine, haven't the Oddies won? But I still would like to understand if there are controlling factors I am unaware of, for the future. If the randomization of mobs happens, it will be a daily figuring out of strategy, so any knowledge will help. Thanks! :)

Quote "McFeisty":  

But I still would like to understand if there are controlling factors I am unaware of, for the future.

Probably just one more - if you have some dimits done, every encounter gives you extra yang (yin? the one you have bigger right now). But that won't do much in this environment of huge UA.

Quote "McFeisty":  

If the randomization of mobs happens, it will be a daily figuring out of strategy, so any knowledge will help. Thanks! :)

i dunno, I always tend to lean green until I hit 29 and start trading. Once you can trade, you can pretty much bury yourself deep into any color you want (except grey) pretty trivially within a week just by paying attention to where you buy and sell (and you really only want to ever buy just to generate enough cash to get through the two interest degrees. after that you *sellsellsell* and *mineminemine*)

Quote "McFeisty":  

Look at the society symbol shown with the 'mob'. Anyone displaying a 'Triad' symbol will give good/chaos when defeated in combat (most of the mobs in Xiao Sanfran chinatown will have this symbol)

Also - be careful when using iotms - they can 'reinforce' your current status. So if you just entered 'oddfellow', iotms will make it easy to stay that way - even when fighting mobs that are against your yin/yang.

Conversely, being in an undesired society - using iotms may make it harder to switch.

Like the dimit bonus, iotms (and killing drones, and tricky dicks) push yang. They reinforce what you already have more of.
    (except yangflipper ...)

Quote "grimdel":  

Look at the society symbol shown with the 'mob'. Anyone displaying a 'Triad' symbol will give good/chaos when defeated in combat

with the current skewered UA you no longer get Good fighting Traid. This is coming from the Triad's now:

[[You gain 16 Evilness! You gain 26 Orderliness!]]

Quote "Salen":  

Quote "grimdel":  

Look at the society symbol shown with the 'mob'. Anyone displaying a 'Triad' symbol will give good/chaos when defeated in combat

with the current skewered UA you no longer get Good fighting Traid. This is coming from the Triad's now:

[[You gain 16 Evilness! You gain 26 Orderliness!]]

Exactly! So, how long or when did the skewed UA happen/begin?

I have been paying attention to the mob symbols, each and every one of them give me evil and order! but I only really noticed once I was trying ot make Oddie. I made it, but too late for the war record, sigh. At least I can fly around!

Pretty sure it's this bit here...

Yin: Good Yang: Chaos High: 17351

The yin is good/normal, otherwise it would say low or high, I'm assuming, which is bad, but hey. Yang is chaos, but *high*. That very large number at the end there is probably the culprit. Numbers make my brain go cross-eyed and curl up into the fetal position, but I bet someone will be along shortly to make sense of it all =D

It was the same way last cycle. After a certain point no matter what you fought you'd get the same stats.

High = abs(yin) + abs(yang).

For example, if the UA is very chaotic and a little good, say ...
    GE= +6375
    OC= -10976
    then yang is chaos (because abs(-10976) > abs(6375), but -10976<0) and yin good
    and high=6375+10976=17351.

The little popup in top right does not say what the values of GE and OC are; for that you have to go to universe snapshot and mouseover last values in the first graph. Or find them in the source, I know there was a GM script that did that.
    If you go just by the popup or homepage UA box, the most you know will be
    - high = 17351, therefore abs(yang)>=17351/2=8675.5 and abs(yin)<=8675.5
    - yang is chaos, so OC <= -8676
    - yin is good, so GE <= 8675

I am not much for this hiding of information, even though it is very thematic in a game about secret societies ...

Sex0r is missing from Rat shack........I know you used to be able to, cause I loved me some rat sex

what with the massive testicles and what not.

Quote "Salen":  

Sex0r is missing from Rat shack........I know you used to be able to, cause I loved me some rat sex

been that way for awhile. I don't remember if there was a reason, so I suppose I can poke at it. might be related to the quest changes or the fact that it's a daily rather than degree quest now. hmmn.

EDIT: Ok, added something that may fix it. give it a try.

Seems to be working.
  • Posted By: Olaf  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

There's some weirdness with special characters in Databuddy notes and forum posts. If it contains higher characters from the ISO/IEC_8859-1 set, it's treated as if the entire post is empty when saving. This happened to me in notes because my old old notes had the degree symbol in them. Most other unicode symbols are escaped to their html equivalents (&#920;).

Also, possibly known behavior, but several (but not all) of the top menu links are inaccessible while in a fight (they'll just continue the fight). Syndicates, Donate, Help on top row, everything except Newest Forum Posts, Polls and Databuddy on second row.
    Help, at least, should be accessible.

Quote "Olaf":  

There's some weirdness with special characters in Databuddy notes and forum posts. If it contains higher characters from the ISO/IEC_8859-1 set, it's treated as if the entire post is empty when saving. This happened to me in notes because my old old notes had the degree symbol in them. Most other unicode symbols are escaped to their html equivalents (&#920;).

Also, possibly known behavior, but several (but not all) of the top menu links are inaccessible while in a fight (they'll just continue the fight). Syndicates, Donate, Help on top row, everything except Newest Forum Posts, Polls and Databuddy on second row.
    Help, at least, should be accessible.

both are known and intended. #1 occurs when you use characters that are created by certain word processors that are fast & loose with their encoding. The filter flat rejects the whole mess. Also happens with Smail and forum posts.

The second prevents you from doing non-combat things in combat. That's common with any webgame that wants to prevent exploits. (:
  • Posted By: Olaf  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

The filter flat rejects the whole mess.

That's what I was thinking may be the case, it was just different behavior than I'd seen anywhere else so wasn't sure. I'd seen unicode, multi-byte characters stripped before, but not the 8859-1 characters, and never wholesale like this.

Quote "munk":  

The second prevents you from doing non-combat things in combat. That's common with any webgame that wants to prevent exploits. (:

Certainly, but the selection of which do that and which don't, didn't make sense to me. Propaganda can remove e-peen so seems like it should also be on the no-go list if Donate is, while the unallowed items on the second row are all looking at public information. I'm all for being overprotective, but what makes forums and smail safe then?

And whatever. It really doesn't matter, I just like to understand things, and this currently doesn't make sense to me.

Quote "Olaf":  

And whatever. It really doesn't matter, I just like to understand things, and this currently doesn't make sense to me.

um, you play *this* game, and you like things to make sense? does not compute! :D

Can't remember if it did this before, but every time I finish a fight or sexor it says "back to Mars" instead of continuing on where I was, like Wander around again or something...is this normal for Mars?

Quote "Salen":  

Can't remember if it did this before, but every time I finish a fight or sexor it says "back to Mars" instead of continuing on where I was, like Wander around again or something...is this normal for Mars?

It's not normal. ISTR that last year it went directly to the next combat.
    It definitely doesn't happen like that anywhere else (that I recall).

Having server issues? A few days ago there was bad lag, followed by period where my browser couldnt connect, followed by random errors in accessing pages.

Today im seeing 5 second lags between server access...

Or is it just me?

I was having troubles connecting to the site a few days ago as well.

yeah the other night I got the white screen o death that said "Don't do that anymore" n couldn't connect

Quote "Salen":  

yeah the other night I got the white screen o death that said "Don't do that anymore" n couldn't connect

yeah, it took a dump for about a half hour or so.

Quote "munk":  

Quote "Salen":  

yeah, it took a dump for about a half hour or so.

Catastrophic Bowel Movement!

So, I just tried to dimit. Sorry if this is in the wrong place..

You have 2 outstanding Auctions in the Yoobey Auction House.
    The Lodgemaster bids you to come back when you have resolved the aforementioned issues.

Has this always been this way and I just never noticed? Why would our lodgemaster (or anyone) care if we have auctions up? Don't all the proceeds go to storage anyway whether you're buying or selling?

I remember the "no outstanding auctions" rule from before, it's not new.

It's probably to minimize any possible interference. It's easier to guarantee that you don't have any auctions than to guarantee no bugs will let you abuse you auctions for some unforeseen advantage.

so I know that some of the alignments have been adjusted so that we can get more flavor in our adventures....but I just fought an Eastern Star Operative that was aligned with Triad......just seems wrong somehow

I've actually been an eastern star who was aligned with the triads at one point so it's not too far fetched.