HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Chat

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: UniqueCrash5  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Chat
    What about replacing chat with an off the shelf solution?

I use Hipchat at work and it's the bomb, baby. Slack seems popular.

I lean against Hangouts, Skype or Facebook because they're tools of the man, man.

If you wanna build engagement it's a sure fire way to. It's all APIs and suchlike now.
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "UniqueCrash5":  

What about replacing chat with an off the shelf solution?

I use Hipchat at work and it's the bomb, baby. Slack seems popular.

I lean against Hangouts, Skype or Facebook because they're tools of the man, man.

If you wanna build engagement it's a sure fire way to. It's all APIs and suchlike now.

url me some API's and I'll take a look. I should note though, that I like the current chat because it's integratedness with the game itself and the fact that if this thing sleeps for a few years in the future, chat will still work when it awakens. For an example of what happens to off-site services after a few years hibernation, one only needs to point to the Radio. Additionally, Happy Fun Balls will have reduced utility without integrated chat.

That said, I also note that chat usage now is pretty light, once everyone had wore off the retro-novelty of /insult. (:
  • Posted By: Vladrin  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

At the top of chat there is a drop down menu that says ssw. would it be a pain in the ass to put the societies on that list and have private chat?
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Vladrin":  

At the top of chat there is a drop down menu that says ssw. would it be a pain in the ass to put the societies on that list and have private chat?

done! :D
  • Posted By: sadieseaside  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

sweet sweet sweet
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

test
  • Posted By: jigue01  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Ok, what's my player number... test 2
  • Posted By: UniqueCrash5  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

How feasible would making chat available through XMPP be? It's open source, has a ton of free client apps available and certainly isn't going away.

Plus it's probably possible to create a branded SSW app by skinning something existing. I can investigate if implementing XMPP is a possibility...