HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Consumption Suggestion

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: Langers  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Consumption Suggestion
    I suggest that when we go to eat and drink, the standby amount be "1" instead of "eat/drink as many of that item as you can". I get the advantage of the way it is, when it comes to meds, but I find myself absent-mindedly gobbling/drinking vast quantities when all I wanted was a little nibble/quaff.
    Would that suit the group or should I just renew the bandages on mah brAAIIn?
  • Posted By: Arikel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I think it's much easier to enter '1' in the little box than 'as many as is possible' ...
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Once you get high constitution you will understand, as many as you can gets very big.

What I mean to say is, when you go to eat, the number in the box is blank and that if you then forget to input a quantity, you end up eating your maximum.

I am suggesting that the box could appear with the number "1" already in it.
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "BabylonHoruv":  

Once you get high constitution you will understand, as many as you can gets very big.

Easy then: just delete the prefilled "1" and you are back to empty box, which is interpretted as 0 by php, and that's (presumably) interpretted as "as many as you can" by the game.

Yup, filled explicitly "0" (zero), game said "attempting to drink $amount_in_inventory .
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I think this change makes sense. The use item section of consume defaults to 1, so it's consistent. And accidentally using 1 when you meant to use all is not nearly as bad as using all when you meant to use 1. Or, if the data is stored in a way this is possible, maybe pre-filling the amount to have the total rather than be blank, so it's more clear what'll happen?
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Well, allright, we'll give it a try (:
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

ok...it's killing me LOL! but not with the food.....with the first aid kits. keep forgetting to change it so I use 1....ugh
  • Posted By: Vladrin  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

This change, I am not in favor of.
  • Posted By: TFwO  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

not a fan
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I ran into it already, but I think only once. Admittedly, haven't been running enough turns to really have that be a factor.

We'll see how my changing muscle memory goes.
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Its disconcerting, as any change is, but I think as I get used to it I will prefer this way. Would be nice if it didnt apply to aid kits though.
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "BabylonHoruv":  

Its disconcerting, as any change is, but I think as I get used to it I will prefer this way. Would be nice if it didnt apply to aid kits though.

RIGHT?!

Well, aside from having to go change the value each time, which is... sort of annoying... what's probably more inconveniencing is having to also go check my fullness levels to get the correct max input value and such.

Not like a HUGE inconvenience, but it's turned into a value check and entry pretty much every time I go to eat and drink, now. So... honestly not so great.

Quote "Rakkasan":  

having to also go check my fullness levels to get the correct max input value and such.

You don't. 0 (zero) and empty (just backspace over the 1 that's there) both mean "all".

Quote "xKiv":  

You don't. 0 (zero) and empty (just backspace over the 1 that's there) both mean "all".

*grunts* Mmm. Okay, will give that a try then. Thanks, xKiv. :D

make a poll. also, the qty box is shared in the constructor, so I can't remove it from the meds and keep it on food/drink. All or none, baby!
  • Posted By: xthesaintx  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Not a fan so far, but I play on tablet at home so no grease monkey script for health.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

chalk me up to another one who doesn't like this

Anybody who once did like it now hate it?

I am mostly ambivalent, but ... when forgetting to edit the quantity, it's better to have it at a safe 1 (and then fill in the reamining wanted drunkness/fullness later), than to drink/eat too much (which is irreversible).

and I imagine this is better for nubs doing the first few quests the first time out - gives them a bit of a safety margin to not over eat/drink and then have to figure out how to get hurt to take the meds.

It admittedly makes it easier for me to do a one fullness/drunkeness fill after the hourly rolls to maintain my optimal HP gain range...

Aside, I think I've more or less gotten accustomed to the new defaults. It doesn't suck. It's not earth shaking awesome either, but it's not horrible.

Langers luvs it, baby. Luvs it but g00d.

Wee! Wee! Wee!
  • Posted By: Squiffle  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Overall, I'd say I'm slightly in favour of the change, just because it is far less annoying to accidentally eat 1 something than all of them.