HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Failing to Sex0r NPCs now robs you of Luck instead of Chi

Secret Society Wars  »  Announcements

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Failing to Sex0r NPCs now robs you of Luck instead of Chi
    Trying out a little experiment, so for now, when you attempt to sex0r mobs and fail, it now costs you Constitution Luck instead of Sexual Chi. This should make it much, much easier to keep your sexiness up and a little harder to keep your Luck up.
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Why would I need help keeping my *sexiness* up?
    (is it even really useful for anything past, say, 1000?)

Also, I am not very fond of any game mechanic that punishes me for having bad rng. If I need to sexor something and fail, I am already wasting a bunch of turns looking for it again. Why do I also need to accrue a (slight but cumulative) penalty [1] on all futher sexor attemps?

This would also seem to make equipping sexy outfits and tittyhats a bad move, because they now often turn a mostly neutral thing (the mob fights you, giving you items and stats but presumably unwanted GEOC) into a bad thing (you lose a useful stat), where that used to be a mostly neutral thing too (you lose a mostly useless stat).

[1] in that having lower CON means having fewer turns, and therefore fewer attempts, and therefore fewer successes

Quote "xKiv":  

Why would I need help keeping my *sexiness* up?
    (is it even really useful for anything past, say, 1000?)

mainly because I heard a lot of complaints from people not able to get sexxy at low levels because they took to long to figure out the mechanic. Also, yes, sexiness is quite important for some things past 1000.

Quote "xKiv":  

This would also seem to make equipping sexy outfits and tittyhats a bad move, because they now often turn a mostly neutral thing (the mob fights you, giving you items and stats but presumably unwanted GEOC) into a bad thing (you lose a useful stat), where that used to be a mostly neutral thing too (you lose a mostly useless stat).

Lost me there - if you get a fight you haven't "failed" in the sense that the change affects (it affects a straight "fail" in terms of the sex0r results that are returned - the one where they turn you down but don't start a fight). If the mob plain don't like you, you provoke a fight, which happens well before a fail can - the penalty doesn't apply.

Quote "munk":  

Lost me there

The difference is in severity of the penalty.

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "munk":  

Lost me there

The difference is in severity of the penalty.

but you don't get the penalty if they fight you. still lost.

also, if the issue is the relatively tiny hit to constitution itself, then consider that Cigarettes were not long ago a very high drain on constitution that no longer exists. Compare the relative loss you would have had if cigs were unchanged and estimate the relative harm from there. (:

Quote "munk":  

but you don't get the penalty if they fight you. still lost.

I get a penalty as often as before, just bigger.
    A hit to sexiness is something I just eat, because getting more sexiness is relatively easy. Sometimes as easy as ... +3/turn (because while you get +1 for success and +5 for the "your moves are so smooth and relaxed" result, all stat gains seem to be halved, because it's not a fight)
    Getting back constitution is 1) nowhere as easy and 2) something that has to be done elsewhere

also, if the issue is the relatively tiny hit to constitution itself, then consider that Cigarettes were not long ago a very high drain on constitution that no longer exists. Compare the relative loss you would have had if cigs were unchanged and estimate the relative harm from there. (:

If cigs were unchanged, I wouldn't even buy them. I would clean my health by fighting mobs naked (as opposed to fighting naked mobs) and not hitting them.
    Well, except I would still use cigs to get more creativity for item drops in dimits (that's what that does, right?).
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I dont understand why this is necessary, but the change doesn't matter all that much to me either way.

The general thought of losing con seems not intuitive to me, it seems like losing luck from not getting lucky would make more sense.
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

mainly because I heard a lot of complaints from people not able to get sexxy at low levels because they took to long to figure out the mechanic. Also, yes, sexiness is quite important for some things past 1000.

Ive always said that this stat was handy, even thought it may help in PVP but no one really got on my wagon with that

Quote "crashnburn11":  

I dont understand why this is necessary, but the change doesn't matter all that much to me either way.

The general thought of losing con seems not intuitive to me, it seems like losing luck from not getting lucky would make more sense.

could hit luck instead, but I was looking to put a small check on constitution now that cigs aren't the big check they used to be. Luck, however has more mysterious effects than constitution, which would likely diffuse protest since the effects of losing luck (or chi) are less obvious than the rather visible effect of losing constitution.

More votes for luck?

Quote "Salen":  

Ive always said that this stat was handy, even thought it may help in PVP but no one really got on my wagon with that

Sexiness is most def a PvP factor. high sexiness can win you initiative rolls. nub Citizens need more sexiness earlier, thus the removal of the chi hit. We will live in a sexier Universe! :D

added a poll. Vote away!
  • Posted By: Langers  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Balance, baby, Balance!
    Lose one, keep another - make it work for old and for new - Langers is glad he doesn't have to keep track of all THAT jazz like the brother does.
    I'm with Crash on one point, so I vote for luck.
    (takes a long drawl on a ciggy)
    Eew! Eew! Eew!
    There ain't no grass in this and... and... issthat a clove?
    (grabs a PROPER smoke)
    Wee! Wee! Wee!

Luck makes narrative sense. I didn't get lucky.

(but I am still against "having bad RNG and this failing at something now will also makes me more likely to fail in future" in general)
  • Posted By: zydecopolka  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I'm with the folks suggesting luck makes more sense.

Any ETA on when we're getting Eroticon back or is that gone forever? Being able to change gender would have helped immensely with my first run through.

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Any ETA on when we're getting Eroticon back or is that gone forever? Being able to change gender would have helped immensely with my first run through.

ahh, the new one's in a state of half-done-ness, and Adsy seems to have gotten irl busy. ETA unknown.

I could, however, put a Nu-U on another planet, if desired. No reason it can't franchise. (:

HA! I could SO see a Nu-U on Yipikitrain, fashion hub of the universe

Quote "munk":  

ahh, the new one's in a state of half-done-ness, and Adsy seems to have gotten irl busy. ETA unknown.

I could, however, put a Nu-U on another planet, if desired. No reason it can't franchise. (:

Boo for busy-ness, SQUEE for franchising! Also, I agree with Salen on location. Yipikaitain would be simply fabulous, darling!
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Speaking of planets, hows the status on Phallorus? It was the main source for the flat head screwdriver, needed to make a utility belt - which is a pretty low percent drop elsewhere, but sometimes asked for on a certain planet.

Quote "grimdel":  

Speaking of planets, hows the status on Phallorus? It was the main source for the flat head screwdriver, needed to make a utility belt - which is a pretty low percent drop elsewhere, but sometimes asked for on a certain planet.

Phallorus is dead pending a renaming and complete content overhaul. It's basically a placeholder for a future new planet, and its ghost gravity knocks a hole in the space maze just like the other ghost planets.

I can put the screwdriver in a store.

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Quote "munk":  

Boo for busy-ness, SQUEE for franchising! Also, I agree with Salen on location. Yipikaitain would be simply fabulous, darling!

Nu-U has now opened a branch location on Yipikaitain! :D

Thank you! <3
  • Posted By: UniqueCrash5  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Being able to change gender would have helped immensely with my first run through.

*blink blink* How?

Quote "UniqueCrash5":  

Quote "zydecopolka":  

Being able to change gender would have helped immensely with my first run through.

*blink blink* How?

You can get assigned sexor targets that don't like your gender.

Yeah, I don't remember the details now, but it took a *lot* of time/turns to "seduce" a target on my list. That was super frustrating. Games should be fun, not frustrating!

Quote "UniqueCrash5":  

Quote "zydecopolka":  

*blink blink* How?

being both genders is immensely handy, and you don't have to worry about which bathroom to use
  • Posted By: Schmurrr  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

An alternative: Leave the sex0r penalty as-is but convert the eroticon powerup to something that boosts sexiness?

Quote "Schmurrr":  

An alternative: Leave the sex0r penalty as-is but convert the eroticon powerup to something that boosts sexiness?

It *does* boost sexiness .. as long as you can feed it some horniness.
  • Posted By: Schmurrr  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Ah. I thought it only reduced horniness, which is why I rarely use it.

The Citizenry has spoken. Luck it is. (:
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Salen":  

Quote "UniqueCrash5":  

Quote "zydecopolka":  

*blink blink* How?

being both genders is immensely handy, and you don't have to worry about which bathroom to use

Yeah, being both is definitely best. Not only do you not have to worry about people not liking you, you don't have to worry about losing sexiness from sexing the "wrong" gender.

(Though honestly, in the sex-crazed world of the 31st century where almost everyone is ready to do all kinds of kinky activities with strangers and it's totally fine to get it on with talking animals, I'm surprised sexual orientation is still a thing.)

Quote "munk":  

Nu-U has now opened a branch location on Yipikaitain! :D

Did the ultra-right wingers burn the place down? I don't see a Nu-U. Though I do see an Auction House - was that their before or did Nu-U have a fire sale?

Above fashion plaza, to the left of the auction house?
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

might be a cache issue too, try doing a hard reload

Ah - I see it on the planetary 'click-map'. But its not in the center dropdown widget - the one with all planetary locations (to the left of the planetary-teleporter dropdown).

Quote "grimdel":  

Ah - I see it on the planetary 'click-map'. But its not in the center dropdown widget - the one with all planetary locations (to the left of the planetary-teleporter dropdown).

ugh, hate the way that works. have to hand-edit a database table to add stuff to that menu. :P

anyway, it's done now.

Quote "munk":  

ugh, hate the way that works. have to hand-edit a database table to add stuff to that menu. :P

anyway, it's done now.

Thanks!