HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Illustrated Guide to Power, UA, societies, and GEOC [or] Power gaining for Dummies

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Help Desk

• Posted By: Natsa  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Illustrated Guide to Power, UA, societies, and GEOC [or] Power gaining for Dummies
    NOTE: Illustrated part is being worked on right now.

Hello there, popsickle. Having trouble understanding what that number under your avatar means, or why you keep changing your society without even trying? Hearing about 'UA' and wondering what the hell it means? Frustrated beyond belief at not being able to decipher it? Well, you've come to the right place. I'll do my best to explain it (at least as much as I know).

Universal Alignment (or UA, for short)

Let's start off with the UA, since a lot of things depend on it. UA stands for Universal Alignment. How it's figured is taking the average power of every player that's played over 1,000 turns and has been active in the past month (30 days). You can find out what the UA is by looking in the top right corner [first image below], hovering your mouse over that first image [second image below], and in the mid-right area of the home page [third image below].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see the game's time (UTC [or the timezone Arizona is in]) and date here, but it also shows which society holds the UA by color. Red = Eastern Star, Orange = Triad, Gray = Amaranth, Blue = Oddfellow, and Green = Illuminati. You can also hover your mouse over this image to see the below one, which shows a lot more info.

Here you see the state of the universe, basically. The PvP hostility level is just how much people have PvP'd and sex0red each other during the day. Not important to this guide. Also not important is the percentage that shows the ratio of powerups to sectors. Military Control is also not important to this guide. Below that you'll see the Universal Alignment section, which is much more detailed than the first image. It shows the degree (which we'll explain later) of how much a society controls space. It also shows the Yin and Yang of the UA holders, Evil/Chaos (also something we'll explain later.

Here's a version of the UA on the front page, it shows pretty much everything that the second image does. It's just there so you know for sure who holds the UA and how much.

What it does is shift the alignments of the various creatures and people that you encounter into the direction that the society that 'holds' the UA is. Example? Let's say that the Eastern Stars have the UA. This would mean that EVERY enemy you encounter (aside from player characters in space) is going to be closer/deeper into the alignment of Eastern Star.

Now, the UA also has a number associated with it, as you've probably noticed. What that signifies is how 'much' the UA is swayed in a particular direction. More specifically, if you look at the UA in the universe snapshot link in your top menu, you'll see it's split into two numbers, or axes. The first axis is good/evil, good being 'up' on the graph, and evil being 'down'. The second axis is order/chaos, order being 'up' on the graph, and chaos being 'down'. Don't think of negative numbers here, because that will just get confusing when we're adding up.

Here's where it 'may' get confusing. Depending on how far each axis goes in a direction, it'll affect monsters more or less. Using the Eastern Star as an example, let's say that they hold the UA, and it's 421 degrees in their direction, 155 in the Chaotic direction, and 266 in the Evil direction. That's how it works, by the way, the main number is the sum of the two axes. (155 chaos + 266 evil = 421 overall.)

Here's a rough representation of what the UA would look like in our example on this page. I don't have the time or patience to make it look exactly like it would there, so this will do just fine.

What does this mean to you? Well, every 100 degrees that the UA is in one direction in an axis, the more towards that alignment all monsters are. In my example above, the UA is 155 degrees towards evil. The figures are rounded down to the nearest 100, and not up, so it's ONLY 100 degrees towards chaos, for all intents and purposes. Even if it was 199, it would still count as 100 degrees. Moving along, though, this means that every monster is 1 'power' more evil than they were before, even if they were good. Since they UA is 266 degrees towards evil, they are 2 more 'power' towards evil than they were before, even if they were good before.

Did you notice something there? The UA is over 400, which might lead you to believe that the shift should be over 4 points of power in directions? Well, that is not always true, like I showed above, so make sure you pay attention how much it's shifted in EACH axis, not just the overall picture. Knowing these things will help you more along the way.

GEOC (Good, Evil, Order, Chaos)

Now that we know a bit about the overall picture, we can focus on monsters and how they affect you when you attack, converse, or sex0r with them. Retreating does nothing to your power or society.

Monsters have two axes, just like the UA does. They can be Good or Evil, and they can be Orderly or Chaotic. They can't be Good AND Evil, or Orderly AND Chaotic. Every monster has two values hidden to you: If they're good/evil and how much, and if they're orderly/chaotic and how much.

If you attack someone who is good, what do you think is going to happen? You will be a bit more evil, right? Right. If you attack someone who is evil, you will be a bit more good. On the other axis, if you attack someone who is orderly, you will become a bit more chaotic. If you attack someone who is chaotic, you will become a bit more orderly.

Also, if you sex0r/converse someone who is good, you will become more good. If you sex0r/converse someone who is evil, you will be come more evil. And so on, and so forth. The thing to remember about sex0r/converse is that it's only half as effective as attacking, when it comes to gaining power.

Pay attention to what happens with your power as you meander along on planets. If you notice a somewhat large gain (3 or 4 power) chances are, you are gaining on both axes. If you notice that your power is not moving at all, you're losing in one axis and gaining in the other. The trick is to figure out which is which. Lastly, if you're losing a somewhat considerable amount (3 or 4 power), you're probably fighting the wrong thing. Try sex0ring it or conversing with it.

Before we finish this section, let's use an example to help understand further. For the sake of the example, we'll say that you're Eastern Star, but just barely hanging onto it. Let's say you fight a monster in an area, and your power doesn't move at all. This means that either a) your evil is rising AND your chaos is falling, or b) your evil is falling AND your chaos is rising. We don't know which yet, because it's impossible to tell, right now.

Let's say that this monster is the only monster in that area, and you fight it a few more times. You notice you've gone Amaranth after a while, which means that you've completely lost either evil or chaos, and are now fully EVIL or CHAOTIC. You still don't know which yet, so you decide to find out and peg which society this monster is in.

You fight it a few more times. You notice that you're Triad after a while, and now gaining 4 power per fight. So have you figured out which alignment (and how much of it) this monster is? No? Well, let's work it out.

This monster is obviously good, because since you became Triad, you were gaining quite a bit of power, and one of those has to be evil to gain as a Triad. This monster is also Chaotic, because you were gaining power from attacking as a Triad, and were not gaining as an Eastern Star. (You were still gaining Evil, being an Evil character attacking a Good one, but the loss of your Chaos by fighting the Chaotic monster negated the power gain. You gained some Evil, but were losing an equal amount of Chaos. Savvy?)

Now. The tough question. How MUCH Good and Chaos did this monster have? Looking at it carefully, we can say that it had exactly 2 good, and exactly 2 chaos. How? Well, the axes had to be equal, right? For you to not be gaining any power in the first place as an Eastern Star, that is. From that info, we can gather that it was 1 good/1 chaos, 2 good/2 chaos, 3 good/3 chaos, or so on... But when we were Triad, we were gaining 4 power. That tells us that it can only be 2 and 2, so we deduce the monster has 2 Good and 2 Chaos, making it an Oddfellow!

You need to be very careful with the UA here, too, like we learned. It can change the alignment of a monster. What would happen if the UA was Oddfellow, 100 degrees in the Good direction, and 100 degrees in the Chaos direction? Well, that would make the monster MORE Oddfellow, and like we learned, 100 degrees will change a monster by 1 power in their axis. Since there's 100 degrees on both axes, the monster gains 1 more good and 1 more chaos, making it a 3 Good/3 Chaos monster. If you're still Triad, you'll be gaining 6 power now!

Societies

There are five societies in this game, and when you're first starting, you're likely to swing from one to another very easily. Every new popsickle starts off as an Amaranth, and will change from there.

The Order of the Amaranth is the first society we'll talk about. Just like the UA and monsters, YOU TOO have two axes, good/evil and order/chaos. To be an Amaranth, you have to be at near zero in one axis, it doesn't matter which. You can be all evil, all good, all chaotic, or all orderly. It's the only society that works like this, and it's the most difficult to maintain. The perk that you get from your hard work as an Amaranth is that you're PvP immune, which means you can attack other players, but they cannot attack you. Sweet, eh?

Next up is Illuminati. To be an Illuminati, you need to have Good and Order. You need to attack things that are Evil and Chaotic. You need to sex0r/converse things that are Good and Orderly. They are opposites with Eastern Star.

Next is Oddfellow. To be an Oddfellow, you need to have Good and Chaos. You need to attack things that are Evil and Orderly. You need to sex0r/converse things that are Good and Chaotic. They are opposites with Triads.

Next is Eastern Star. To be an Eastern Star, you need to have Evil and Chaos. You need to attack things that are Good and Orderly. You need to sex0r/converse things that are Evil and Chaotic. They are opposites with Illuminati.

Last is Triad. To be an Triad, you need to have Evil and Order. You need to attack things that are Good and Chaotic. You need to sex0r/converse things that are Evil and Orderly. They are opposites with Oddfellows.

Power

Now, we're getting to the good stuff. How you can gain political power in your society and hopefully become the poobah! Taking the knowledge that we have now from what we've learned above, let's dive in to what power is and how you can change it.

Your power (like everything else discussed here) is divided into two parts; good/evil and order/chaos. Depending on which mix you are, you'll be planted in one of the five societies.

The way power works is simple. Let's say you have 1000 power, eh? Not a bad start. Let's also say you're Eastern Star, and you have 45% Evil/55% Chaos. (Your alignments will always add up to 100%, and you can check these at your local lodge.)

What the hell does this mean to you? It means that 45% of your 1000 power is evil, and that 55% of your 1000 power is chaos. What's 45%/55% of 1000? Do the math, and we find out it's 450/550. Your power is always the added result of your two axes. If you are Amaranth (and evil) with 1000 power and your ratio is 100%/0%, you're likely very close to 1000 Evil/0 Order/Chaos, but you have a bit of leeway to work with.

What are Yin and Yang, you ask? Your Yang is the alignment that you have most of, no matter what it is. It's possible it will change as time goes on. Your Yin is your minor stat, and for Amaranths it's what you want to have zero of. Let's say that you have 49% Evil and 51% Order. That means your Yang is Order, and your Yin is Evil. Let's also say you play some turns and gain some evil, and ditch some order. Now you have 49% Order and 51% Evil. Your Yin and Yang have now switched.

Why is this important? Because some things are determined by what your Yin and Yang are. Dimiting, PvP, sex0ring, all very important things. It's up to you to discover 'what' the effect your Yin and Yang have on them, however.

To any and all players: If you still do not understand something after reading this, PLEASE ask your question here. I give you my word that as soon as I see it and if I know the answer, I will answer it ASAP. I'll devote the time to help you more if you need it, and I know other players will do so as well. Feel free to SMail me or post your questions here. Do not think that I'm going to get annoyed by your questions, no matter how many there are.

I also realize that I may be mistaken in some information here, so if you see something that's wrong, feel free to correct me, but please be nice about it. :) I don't know everything, and wrote half of this at 5 am.
  • Posted By: Misty  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

so me wanting to go ES as an lummy i have to attack good and orderly? right
    and so how do i know what is good and orderly?
    I did get pvp'ed by Es 3 times and sex0red a lot but my ying and yang didn't not change.
    I knwo you tried to explain this before but hell try again please?
    Misty

If you want to become Evil and Chaotic (ES), then yes, you need to fight Good and Orderly.

You know what's Good and Orderly when you lose a good amount of power when fighting it.

PvPing and trying to completely switch societies can only be done in an incredibly non-optimal way. You'd have to attack your own society to make it optimal, and you can't do that. So all you 'can' do is lose PvP fights, which 'will' knock off both of your yin and yang, but you'll also lose various other things.

You can't switch your Yin and Yang unless they're both very close to each other, and switching them wouldn't help you become ES anyways.

Hope that helps.
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

"(Amaranths can maintain neutrality, up to but not equaling 1% in their Yin.)"

the actual number is an actual number, not a percentage. (:

Ah, I just stole that from the sticky in Amaranth boards. Fixed.
  • Posted By: Gordius  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Is there any clear information on how Tricky Dick is distributed across Yin and Yang? The two reasonable possibilities are all Yin and proportional to current balance, but as an Amaranth, I can't really test the difference between those two possibilities.

I'm fairly positive Tricky Dicks boost your main stat, your Yang. Never been shot out of Amaranth by using one.

Quote "Gordius":  

Is there any clear information on how Tricky Dick is distributed across Yin and Yang? The two reasonable possibilities are all Yin and proportional to current balance, but as an Amaranth, I can't really test the difference between those two possibilities.

tricky dicks and all real power-boost items/powerups/etc all add to Yang, not yin. They are ideal for Amaranths.
  • Posted By: Fubushi  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Regarding monster alignment - is spading it out the only option?
    Or am I missing clues?

Sometimes you'll see actual agents of a society in an area. That is pretty much the only clue you can garner as to 'what' society a place is. Obviously those agents are going to hang out with monsters of their own alignment (mostly). Otherwise, spadework is required. Easier with multiple people, working together.
  • Posted By: Fubushi  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Natsa,

Thanks!

So places can be biased - that helps!
  • Posted By: TheDudeAbides  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Yeah, as he said, some places are biased but there are locations with different alignments present. It's a good idea to keep a notepad or spreadsheet open for notes. One of the things that's confusing initially, is that the UA bonus will change from day to day depending on a society's control over the UA. So you need to keep a close eye on that as well as you're making your notes.

Also keep in mind that if you are ES, for example, you can gain power fighting 3 main types of monsters: Oddie, Triad and Illum. All three of these may show you gaining power depending on whether the Oddie has more Good and the Triad has more Order. If the Triad monster GEOC is -2/1 for example which is 2 evil and 1 order, that will result in a net loss of 1 power for you. If they are -1/2 (also still Triad) you will gain 1 power. But while you are losing or gaining a power here, keep in mind that you're shifting one way or the other. In the first example above, you're gaining 2/-1 which is 2 good and 1 chaos. So you're losing 1 power but you're actually shifting towards Oddie here as well.
  • Posted By: daydreamvick  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

You can also check the lodge in the area periodically to see which direction your %s are going.. that is unless you are ammie or out of alignment already.
  • Posted By: taltamir  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

very interesting explanation. I learned alot. I am still curious though, what is power? that is, you explained that if I have 1000 power and am 20% good / 80% chaos then i will have 200 good power and 800 chaos power. Ok, but what does that do? what does 200 good power actually change?
  • Posted By: ToriForte  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Power only has importance on a society level - if you don't care what society you're in, or climbing ranks, you can actually pretty much ignore it. 1000 power with 20% good 80% chaos makes you an oddfellow, that's all.
  • Posted By: DonKey  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

As Tori said, power is what determines which society you belong to, and your rank or status within that society. It's essentially a measure of your political acumen.
  • Posted By: Boozerbear  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

• Posted By: Blargblargety  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

After reading this, I still don't understand how to gain power as an Amaranth. I can stay as an Amaranth, it seems, by alternating between conversing and attacking monsters, but this leaves me at or near 0 power. Every time I start to gain power, I get a message that I'm deviating from Amaranth.

So how in the heck can anyone gain power as an Amaranth? Can you name any specific monsters one could focus on?

Okay, so what you need to do is pick a _single_ alignment.

Once you choose that (Let's say evil, since that's what I use when I go Amaranth), you need to find an area with monsters that have Evil/Chaos, and an area with monsters that have Evil/Order. At that point, you need to alternate between the two areas, the order and chaos will cancel each other out, and you'll constantly gain evil.
  • Posted By: Bilfred  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I understand most of what has been said here, but I have a question: if I'm in a society but leaning towards another society, does my current power show my power in my current society or new society? Or to explain it better with an example:

My left menu says:

The Triad Cabbal
    Leaning: Eastern Star

Presumably because I'm getting too chaotic for The Triad Cabbal. However, if I'm fighting a monster and my power is going up by 4 each time, does this mean I'm becoming more powerful in the Triad Cabbal or Eastern Star?

You're becoming more powerful in the Eastern Star. If you're leaning anything, that's what you are going towards. :)
  • Posted By: Bilfred  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Right, thanks a lot. That was really an amazingly fast response as well!

We aim to please.
  • Posted By: TheDudeAbides  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

A lot of times you'll be moving from one society to another without any power change at all. For example, if you're Triad and fighting a monster that is 2/2, you're gaining 2 evil power and 2 chaos power. Since you're evil and order you're losing 2 order while gaining 2 evil. So you're not seeing a net power gain at this point though you're slowly moving from Triad to Amaranth then ES. As soon as you start leaning into ES then you'll gain 4 power per turn at the same place instead of breaking even as a Triad.
  • Posted By: JackVermicelli  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

So- this is what gets me. There's nothing in a monster/NPC's actions or description (assuming the game text/narrative is reliable) that tells me its alignment, 90% of the time? This all seems like guilt by association, rather than any actual intrinsics of the NPC, like actions (toward me or others) or intent. If this is so, wouldn't it all be generally evil to go around clobbering people only because of something fickle like UA, regardless of what I see of their actions or intent, and in the absence of any background knowledge of an NPC, or at least its reputation (in the 90% of cases where the game text leaves me without this)? And why is it evil to converse with someone who's somehow uncharacteristically "evil"? Does it rub off?

It seems hard to play this game any way other than as a violent psychopath (which I'm trying not to do).

For what it's worth, I'd like to be Oddfellow, but can't get un-Triad. Attacking only those whose descriptions peg them as evil or at least looking for a fight gets me nowhere.
  • Posted By: Douwe  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

As has been stated before: you need to watch your power after a fight/converse/sex0r. If it has the desired effect, keep doing it. If not, do the opposite.
  • Posted By: Ubertuber  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

OK - I understand how to gain power in whatever group, but here's what I'm having trouble figuring out, and I'll use my own efforts as the example. I figured I was getting way too much into any one group and wanted to neutral-out a bit for a while until I figured out better where I wanted to go. It seemed logical to me that, for example, I was becoming Eastern Starn really quickly and to switch to something else I'd have to be nice to good people for a while. So far so good. But in order to be nice to good people, I'm losing power at a remarkable rate, and I thought I saw somewhere that that wasn't necessarily required - there were ways of fixing this problem without losing so much power so quickly.

I guess I'm asking what is the relationship between power and Yin/Yang? I want to affect my Yin/Yang without losing power out the proverbial orifice. Any thoughts?
  • Posted By: glen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Power is the sum of your yin and yang.

Head over to the power gym and check it out.

So the best I can effect is mathematical equality by moving laterally towards a different axis - neutrality, in real terms, results more or less in zero power being the centerpoint of the axes. Hmmm. Not what I wanted to hear, but understandable. I wonder if we could introduce the Swiss as the 6th Element. But I digress.

Thanks!
  • Posted By: DonKey  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Ubertuber":  

neutrality, in real terms, results more or less in zero power being the centerpoint of the axes.

Not if what you mean by neutrality is staying aligned with The Order Of The Amaranth. You can do that while still gaining loads of power. Just work on fighting/sex0ring/conversing with things that up your Yang, and keep your Yin as close to 0 as possible. Or do what Glen mentioned in his spoiler. It will then become much more clear.

Thank you kindly! Much appreciated! Make Love, not Fries!
  • Posted By: whydah  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I'm new, and may have this wrong, but am curious:

If the UA is strongly towards an alignment, is it still feasable/possible to become an opposing society? I don't know if it would even be beneficial, but just supposing:

For example, suppose you are an Eastern Star, and the UA is strongly evil/chaotic, and you purposely fought evil/chatoic monsters to become an Illuminati. (This is the part I may be confused about..) Because each monster has several points more evil and chaos, you would have to lose tons of power before you ever started to lean towards the Illuminati? Or would you basically get close to 0 power without ever changing society?

The other question I have is how the UA is determined. What causes it to rise and fall? Is it the society of the active players individually or their collective alignment stats? (Meaning, if more players are, say, ES than any other society, will that be the UA? Or is it figured based on the total amount of Evil, Order, Chaos, and Good of all players? Or, something completely different??)

Thanks Natsa, even though I have these questions your guide is great!

Quote "whydah":  

For example, suppose you are an Eastern Star, and the UA is strongly evil/chaotic, and you purposely fought evil/chatoic monsters to become an Illuminati. (This is the part I may be confused about..) Because each monster has several points more evil and chaos, you would have to lose tons of power before you ever started to lean towards the Illuminati? Or would you basically get close to 0 power without ever changing society?

You're basically changing to the exact opposite of what you are, so yeah, you're going to lose almost all your power before actually getting to Illuminati.

Quote "whydah":  

The other question I have is how the UA is determined. What causes it to rise and fall? Is it the society of the active players individually or their collective alignment stats? (Meaning, if more players are, say, ES than any other society, will that be the UA? Or is it figured based on the total amount of Evil, Order, Chaos, and Good of all players? Or, something completely different??)

(total power of all players who've played over 1000 turns)/(total players who've played over 1000 turns)

So for example, if you and I were the only two players, and I had 1000 power, and was Triad, 500 power in evil and 500 power in order (50/50 split, to make it easy) and you were Illuminati and you had 1000 power, 500 in good and 500 in order...

The evil/good axis would look like this:
    (-500 + 500)/2 = 0

Good and evil cancel each other out there. The order/chaos axis would look like this:
    (500 + 500)/2 = 500

The total UA is really the addition of those two axises, axes, axeman, whatever the word is. So, the total UA would be 500, for Amaranth. Why? Because one axis is neutral. I'm writing this while tired, so feel free to tell me that made no sense at all and I'll fix it when I get out of work tomorrow. Cheers.

(Also munk can correct me if I'm wrong. Which I have a feeling I am, for some reason.)

as it says several times on the snapshot page:

"All statistics are based on players who have logged in within the last 30 days and have played over 1000 turns."

additionally, members of the "special members group" (which at the moment include those in the Content Moderator group) are not counted. Thus, neither Natsa nor I are counted.

Additionally additionally, that part about the thousand turns refers to "in this cycle", to be absolutely correct. As of last snapshot, 137 players qualified these conditions and were counted.
  • Posted By: Microbru  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

So (really basic question) Evil and Chaos are the negative numbers in the alignment?

In my case then I am currently (GE:-7 OC:94)

so that's 7 to Evil and 94 to Order?

Quote "Microbru":  

So (really basic question) Evil and Chaos are the negative numbers in the alignment?

In my case then I am currently (GE:-7 OC:94)

so that's 7 to Evil and 94 to Order?

precisely.
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

how does the UA change? right now to be eastern star is to lose power fighting everyone and just wondering if that will change soon, or if it's based on militery control
  • Posted By: daydreamvick  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

It is based on the universal alignment. If you look at the snapshot page you'll find that most of the power in the universe is chaos and a little bit good. Thus the universal yang is chaos. So right now most of the NPCs are leaning more chaotic <a lot more> than when the universe was neutral. this means that oddfellows <chaotic good>, Eastern stars <chaotic evil> and those Amaranth with chaotic yang and to some degree good yang are losing power when they fight and gaining power when they sexor. To spade out what is happening when you fight or sexor a specific monster.. go to the lodge before and after and you can see how it affects you power. The only way it will change is if the amount of power in the universe changes. If you watch where newbies are ending up when they just play normal, you'll notice it is the opposite of the universal alignment. In this case that is orderly/evil or Triad. You can affect which alignment you end up in by carefully choosing the monsters that you fight or sexor based on the data you collect when you spade out the monsters. I doubt that the universal alignment will get changed during this round <though anything is possible>, but it will be reset when the war is won and we can start over again.
  • Posted By: SpaceReporter  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I feel like an idiot for asking this, I'm in the order of the Amarath but i'm leaning towards Illuminati my question is how do I switch to being an Illuminati, does it change automatically? if this questions been answered somewhere else could you point me to it?
  • Posted By: pyroanarchist  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

If you're leaning at the end of the day at rollover you'll be automatically switched to the society you're leaning into.