HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Planetary Departures and Landings announced in chat?

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Planetary Departures and Landings announced in chat?
    So, how about having it so that anytime someone blasts off a planet or lands, a system announcement is made in chat:

"[datestamp] Username has departed from Earth."

and

"[datestamp] Username has landed on Phallorus."

System messages are not displayed on the front page, so you'd have to stay in chat to see them. Whatchoo think?
  • Posted By: Julionics  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

my likey... would force me to be in chat a little ore but would also help with pvp quest.
  • Posted By: TFwO  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

i like anything that gives me intel and encourages more people into chat (:
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I'm for this.
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

So, presumably, spamming chat with rapid blastoff/land combos would be a valid tactic?

Quote "xKiv":  

So, presumably, spamming chat with rapid blastoff/land combos would be a valid tactic?

I could make taking off and landing cost a turn.

That might actually thematically fit with it being "loud".
  • Posted By: Kimo  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Can there be a "ninja" or "stealth" mode? Maybe a ITOM that would hide your take-offs and landings. You guys are a nosey lot. Haha.

Maybe something with having high dimit count?
    (sorry, I am secreter society than you, you don't get to notice me leaving the building until I tell you!)
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I love this!
  • Posted By: aces44  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

So, how about having it so that anytime someone blasts off a planet or lands, a system announcement is made in chat:

and

System messages are not displayed on the front page, so you'd have to stay in chat to see them. Whatchoo think?

Good for the hunter, not so much for the hunted...
  • Posted By: Arikel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

While the idea is interesting ... I personally am not into the PvP part of the game ... but yeah it could be a useful thing for PvP hunters - maybe connected to people with bounties on them? ... and No I don't like the stealth idea being tied to high dimits - because people play the game in many different ways and some people do like 8 gazillion dimits while others have other things to do.
  • Posted By: Schmurrr  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

It spams the chat too much as initially implemented. I think it also may overly favor the hunters over the prey--which wouldn't be a problem if combatants were balanced but is very bad news for those with significantly lower power, lack of high-end gear, etc. (e.g., people who are mid-dimit and new players).
  • Posted By: adsynth  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I like the idea without any modifications. However, I see the need for player "secrecy". How about an IOTM apathy option?
  • Posted By: Kimo  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

One of the things that I like about SSW is there are many different ways one can play. There has always been a respect given to whatever path a person chooses. Whether it be a dimiter, PvP person, a person maybe that never hit 33, or whatever. While I think this idea has merit, I feel this should be a player option. Like I said before; maybe am ITOM to create a "stealth" mode. Maybe a new spacesuit. Components could be rocket pack, Karategi, Karate pants, black belt, bubble helmet with a Bruce Lee bandanna, and ninja finger less gloves. Just an idea. I just ask that there be something that a player can choose, use, or wear to not be seen.
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

and

It's a big universe. Making it smaller doesn't seem the best idea.
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

This doesn't just help PvP hunters, it also lets the hunted keep an eye on the hunters. If you see a known PvPer blast off right after you do, you know you should run. As it is, the big PvPers probably all have bounty devices anyway.
    That said, maybe stealth takeoffs/landings could be added to the "other people's problem" IOTM (the one that blanks out your outfit, can't remember which one that is). It seems a pretty small thing to get a whole IOTM (and presumably equipment slot) for, unless it has other advantages to go along with it.

I don't think there should be equipment (or any other simple toggle) to hide from this. Too easy to be hidden only when blasting/landing, but having better equipment for actually doing anything.
    Also, I don't like the idea that some people would pay to be excluded from something this important, and others can't afford it for IRL reasons. IOTMs in this game don't look like they should be that powerful.
    I think hiding should be either something one earns (and dimits are the first thing that come to mind wrt earning something in this game), or available at a significant cost (like, if you blast off as hidden, you count as permanently defeated in pvp, and therefore can't operate drones - until you land).

There will be no hiding from the current implementation. I turned it on for a bit last night, and it proved to be instantly annoying.

As written and implemented, you want it or you don't - vote here
  • Posted By: ThatKat  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

My concern would be that as more people play the game, chat will just be a constant mess of take off and landing messages. It was hard enough getting people into chat until the war really started heating up, and it may turn some people away from it completely. Is it possible to make an IOTM that, when worn would allow you to see the comings and goings in chat... or in a seperate little box somewhere?

Quote "ThatKat":  

Is it possible to make an IOTM that, when worn would allow you to see the comings and goings in chat...

Ok, so perhaps a "Spaceport Terminal Radio" IOTM which you could use (turn on and off) to give you access to an additional chat channel that announces departures and landings. (bonus: separate chat channel for space hunters)

As for making yourself invisible to the Terminal traffic, I don't see how that is possible. The Spaceport has to announce every departure and landing for safety and traffic control reasons. The question under consideration is whether or not you can or have to listen to the chatter. (:
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Why not something intermittent like the invisibility belt? either a jar of radar jam, or a bottle of smuggler's port - that may get you planetside undetected. Or if its the chatter - maybe a mini EMP grenade that knocks out the radio for a bit - you know something happened, but what?

And if its a safety thing - maybe the person takes some damage or pays an extra bribe.... err... fee
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "ThatKat":  

Is it possible to make an IOTM that, when worn would allow you to see the comings and goings in chat...

Ok, so perhaps a "Spaceport Terminal Radio" IOTM which you could use (turn on and off) to give you access to an additional chat channel that announces departures and landings. (bonus: separate chat channel for space hunters)

As for making yourself invisible to the Terminal traffic, I don't see how that is possible. The Spaceport has to announce every departure and landing for safety and traffic control reasons. The question under consideration is whether or not you can or have to listen to the chatter. (:

When I'm actively playing I might take off and land a combined 80 times an hour, jumping here and there. When you get more than 20 people actively playing the game at the same time it would be maddening. Good luck using this! :)
  • Posted By: Arikel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "datacore":  

When I'm actively playing I might take off and land a combined 80 times an hour, jumping here and there. When you get more than 20 people actively playing the game at the same time it would be maddening. Good luck using this! :)

This. Last night when Prydera was bouncing around taking off and landing - it was very, very spammy - and he's only one guy. so yeah.

I think I like the idea of that IOTM radio thing better which adds the channel. That way you can choose to participate in that.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

How about just updating the info at the office on barnimus more frequently?

Quote "crashnburn11":  

clarify? I see no time limit on the bounty office.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Well, now it says "last seen near nortonia". Instead it could say "blasted off from nortonia 2 mins ago" or "landed on nortonia 1 minute ago"

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Quote "munk":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Well, now it says "last seen near nortonia". Instead it could say "blasted off from nortonia 2 mins ago" or "landed on nortonia 1 minute ago"

Well, we don't log takeoff and landing times. but I added an idle time for the player.
  • Posted By: adsynth  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Quote "munk":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Well, we don't log takeoff and landing times. but I added an idle time for the player.

The Bounty system with this upgrade pretty much covers the concept, minus the super log threads.