HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Possible update to Comet-Flavored powerups

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Possible update to Comet-Flavored powerups
    I'm considering adding an effect to comet-flavored powerups where it would have a chance, on consumption, of launching a Comet, which would seek out a random enemy sector and destroy up to 100 drones in a firey flyby. Whatchoo think?
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

That sounds .... almost useless and insanely overpowered at the same time?
    But mostly overpowered, unless it averages near zero killed drones. If it kills 50 on average, it's worth 75 drones, suddenly outclassing every other powerup by a factor of 3 or more just with that.

heh, just the thought of it got a lot of peeps to firm up their inner defenses because they realize the implications (:
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

no but it's not a bad idea for that to happen randomly once a certain time goes by like it has. Maybe the emperor has a comet gun hidden away like a death star.
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I like this idea.
  • Posted By: TFwO  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I think all this will do is have everyone keep at least 101 drones in their sector, but hey, I'm up for anything to shake things up a bit this cycle.

Quote "TFwO":  

I think all this will do is have everyone keep at least 101 drones in their sector, but hey, I'm up for anything to shake things up a bit this cycle.

it would have certain tactical/psych effects as well. you'd have to be wary of your inner sectors falling below that number, else risk the chance of a second comet wiping out the survivors and opening a hole in your shell defenses.

I would also be curious to see if the "relative high value" of randomly launching a comet would really make the comet powerups more desirable than Gnomes or Monkeys. You'd be launching a comet at a randomly chosen sector not aligned to you, and not always (you'd sometimes get the regular sugar/booze payout). It has MMG aspects that might attract beyond the value of randomly irritating your enemies. The occasional nature of the big, violent payout weighing against your desire for gnomes and monkeys... :D
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I am not a fan of "this is too powerful to happen regularly, so it will be balanced by only happening rarely".
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I'm kind of in-between on this.

On the one hand, shell defense and such is seeming sort of outmoded now, and it seems more balancing that if you manage to scrape out some defensive advantage, you have to pay for it in some respects. After all, the "rest of us" have pretty much lost any chance of a reciprocating advantage to match.

But then again, the thought of getting comet-spammed and having holes opened also seems perhaps a bit unbalanced. Though, then again, the chance that an informed team would have less than 101 drones, or 1001 drones / sector if this mechanic was implemented is about... nil. And a proactive team would be keeping up and refilling hits anyway.

Hmm... well, I'd say give the mechanic a shot for a cycle or two, see how it rolls. It's not like we hardly ever have two cycles with the same mechanics anyway, right?
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

also, doesn't it seem like the drone laziness we were discussing in that other thread? I mean it won't happen all the time like that but it would keep people on their toes

I do think I would put in a mechanism to keep it from hitting the same sector in a certain amount of time if that is possible, either an hour or a day, so that it is possible for people to do maintenance and keep sectors at 101 or above, I don't like the idea of a coordinated comet attack being an effective tactic. Adding something that makes internal sectors require maintenance is good though.
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

While I do agree that there should be something to make it undesirable to just dump 1 drone on internal sectors, it sort of seems like this idea would just make it so you could just dump 101 drones on internal sectors instead. The other teams might get lucky and manage to land two comets on a square before it gets reinforced, but if the comet destruction is rare it seems like it'd be a pretty unreliable tactic.

There's a lot of comets out there, just dumping 101 is not enough becuase you have to check if a comet has hit any of them.
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I dont think it'll be that bad -> you'll have 8-9 shots a day per player - how many active players are there?

Also - comets are a slow renewable -> as people use them, they'll get scarce.

Maybe as an alternative -> paying spacebux for a 'modified' warp drone - as an economy sink? Limit the # you can fire per day, and/or increasing the cost per drone, resetting on rollover.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I like it. I don't think it needs any qualifiers. If you are worried about your same sector getting hit multiple times, maybe you should put more drones there.
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "BabylonHoruv":  

There's a lot of comets out there, just dumping 101 is not enough becuase you have to check if a comet has hit any of them.

Sure, but in a situation like we're in now with a society holding about a third of the sectors, that's 363 sectors. Even if there's only one enemy society, a comet has a 1/363 chance of hitting any given sector. If three society members have low HP and use 10 comets a day (which seems like a lot of comets, especially if they become valuable enough people will want to use that many of them), that's a 1/12 chance of the same sector being hit twice...and that's at a 100% comet attack rate, which munk said probably wouldn't be the case. Plus, munk said the comet would kill up to 100 drones, so there's a chance two comets might not even wipe it out. And if you put 201 drones, you just cut the chance of wiping them out in half again.
    And that's if one society holds a third of territory and nobody else holds anything. In a situation like we're in now, it'd be even less likely to hit the same place twice.
    So it's a risk to be accounted for, but it doesn't really seem like it would do much to break a stalemate.

Of course, now that I've typed all that out and spent all that time thinking about it, I actually do kind of like the idea. I don't think it will solve any problems on its own, but it will at least make holding sectors a little more expensive, and force societies to pay attention to the areas they hold rather than setting and forgetting.
  • Posted By: Schmurrr  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Not a fan. It doesn't reward strategy.
  • Posted By: TFwO  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

looks like the vote is in....?