HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Power Suggestion

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: Kimo  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Power Suggestion
    Can power be capped? For example capped at 300,000?

I was thinking that even when I last played SSW the same people always spurt ahead and dominate society Poo-bah and other top positions. How about making the top positions be more rounded. Like in order to be the Grand Poo Bah of a society you have to have not only the most power but have a high PvP score, high Sexiness and so forth.

Say: Two people are at the max 300,000 power. First tie breaker be PvP score. 2nd tie breaker be who has the higher sexiness, then confidence, then creativity. I doubt the tie breakers would go past the 2nd tie breaker in this scenario.

You can decrease power as usual but you can't go over the max. This will add another decrease to auto-accost desire, increase in PvP and other stat needs. Plus will make a fluid change of society ranks. I guess the max power number should be high enough to reward active players but low enough to encourage active game-play in all areas of SSW.

Some of this I have been thinking about and some came from people I showed SSW to.
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

1) what are even the benefits of high power?
    What are the benefits of high society rank (I hazily remember that spaceman supply offers a few items more, but that's it)?

2) wouldn't this either basically invalidate power as a factor for those comparisons, or do nothing (depending on how much total power there is in the universe)?

3) any number you pick for the limit will be wrong, because different cycle lengths have different dynamics

4) no hard caps please; if you must, then make it progressively harder to change alignment [1] with higher power - perhaps use sigma function, or arcustangens, or Lorentz factor ... and then round off before showing/comparing

5) what's wrong with some people focusing on politics, while others focus on pvp, sexoring, dimitting, trading, ...?

[1] or at least its absolute value
  • Posted By: Arikel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Well dimiters often drive the UA with their power and it's obvious from this last cycle that Sadie and Halo did much of that. Having the UA grants extra power ups to the team in that society. Thus giving the Oddfellows the benefits of that. And I mean how cool was it that Sadie made 1M power last night - pretty damn cool.

I don't agree that power should be capped - the same people may spurt ahead because those are the same people that play a lot of turns. I personally don't like the whole dimiting thing - but you yourself, Kimo are a huge dimiter and you gain a lot of power from that - I gain power my way. I dislike too the idea of tie breakers being pvp scores - some people - myself included - are absolutely terrible at pvp so how is that really 'fair' if fairness is what you're after.

What you're saying is that in order for me to raise in my society that I HAVE to absolutely pvp and be good at it. But if I don't want to participate in that part of the game I shouldn't have to - it doesn't encourage 'well roundedness' it enforces it. I think forcing there to be only 'one way' to play the game discourages people who do things or think differently.

I personally enjoy the part of power gain that I do - I like seeing where and how far I can go - sometimes even having had power races with others - usually Rakka back in the day.

Or are you upset more that the Poo Bah is tied to power ... maybe only people who spend a certain number of days in a given society should be able to be Poo Bah or some other random sort of thing or people who actually contribute heavily to the society they're in on a consistent and long term basis - we've complained in past about win leaches who show up in war record who do shit all for a society win - but the thing is people lean into whatever society they do and power is the way that they are ranked in societies. Power is linked to the UA and it grants benefits and what's the point if you limit that.

Quote "Arikel":  

Having the UA grants extra power ups to the team in that society.

It's +2 powerups (11 instead of 9 if you have the iotms) and +1 sexor per target (4 instead of 3 if you have the iotm). Possibly also pvp per target, but I don't get to know about that.
    Having the UA also means that fighting mobs tends to reduce power, and even with the multidimit bonus to yang, it could drive one to another society with yin.
    Anything else?
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "xKiv":  

Having the UA also means that fighting mobs tends to reduce power, and even with the multidimit bonus to yang, it could drive one to another society with yin.
    Anything else?

Fighting isn't so much an issue now, but in any case, you can always sex0r for power gain if that's your purpose, or to offset power loss from fighting.

Other "lower level" benefits include the potential ability to really smack a low-power person around in terms of society standing from PvP or Sex0r, this being useful for either knocking other team's players out of position, or swinging your own team members into desired positions.

Also, having a huge sink of power makes you pretty impervious to such targeting attacks as well.

There's probably other benefits and applications to having high power that I could think of, given some time. But, I think that the really big one is the 25% base increase in power-ups per player per day in the UA benefited team. That is potentially a pretty large advantage over a long run.

-edit: Though, now, it is an admittedly less pronounced advantage, given the altered trade/turn scheme.
  • Posted By: Arikel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Alright cause yeah ... thinking more stuff. Power is a reflection of things you do that earn power - currently trades and pvp and non pvp and killing drones etc.

Now you suggested that things need to be more 'well rounded' Okay take a look at the mostest - you see a lot of the same names at top - Crash, Pryde, Rakka, xKiv, Sadie, Julionics, Halo. These are people who are the most active - they're PLAYING. They're obviously well rounded now. Why shouldn't they be at the top with lots of power - they're doing more than anyone else, obviously. Yeah I earned PB at the end of the cycle - but I fucking earned it with drone kills, now didn't I?

Are we saying that the people who are seriously playing should have to do tie breakers with people that do not do as much? and as far as I know - all those people have lots of real life shit they get done too... well maybe except me & Rakka ;)

That's another point too - all those things that would be used as tiebreakers, they already figure into power, or at least highly correlate with something that's already counted.
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "xKiv":  

That's another point too - all those things that would be used as tiebreakers, they already figure into power, or at least highly correlate with something that's already counted.

Or can be manipulated as easily or even more so.