HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

PvP

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

PvP
    We should be able to win trade experience in PvP in similar proportions to the other stats, since it is now a useful stat.
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "crashnburn11":  

We should be able to win trade experience in PvP in similar proportions to the other stats, since it is now a useful stat.

THAT would make people think twice about flying in space LOL! Imagine what that would look like with some of the trade exp's out there? woot! that would be a steal, literally.
  • Posted By: sadieseaside  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "crashnburn11":  

I feel raped enough as is thanks any way.
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "sadieseaside":  

Ditto us, with the UA...

Quote "Rakkasan":  

Quote "sadieseaside":  

Ditto us, with the UA...

hey at least everyone is getting some
  • Posted By: sadieseaside  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Salen":  

Quote "Rakkasan":  

Quote "sadieseaside":  

Ditto us, with the UA...

hey at least everyone is getting some

SOME! it hurt Your opponent gains 411 Luck from you!
    Your opponent gains 251 Creativity from you!
    Your opponent gains 267 Constitution from you!
    Your opponent gains 291 Confidence from you!
    Your opponent gains 501 Combat Experience from you!
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

No means no (unless it means yes)
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Was trade experience not a useful stat before? I feel like it used to be MORE useful, because you had so few trades you really needed all you can get.
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Rickton":  

Was trade experience not a useful stat before? I feel like it used to be MORE useful, because you had so few trades you really needed all you can get.

It now determines how fast your trades refresh (that used to be a flat rate until ... last month? No, it's still this month, but only barely). And you can no longer just farm trade hypos.
    So where before you got your max trades to few thousands and could just leave them there (I think about 3 or 4 thousand was enough for what accumulated in 24 hours?), you now always want more.

I'm just saying, it would increase the incentive to chase people down in space, and the more powerful/high stat big juicy players would be the higher payout targets, which is how I think it should be. It is also another avenue to try to gain advantages over the other teams. And it isn't gamebreakingly bad, 1% of 30 million is only 300,000 exp.

Quote "crashnburn11":  

, which is how I think it should be.

Ot it could just get me to stop playing.

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

, which is how I think it should be.

Ot it could just get me to stop playing.

What about that makes you want to quit playing? Are you going to quit playing if someone captures your asteroid or facility spams your drone factory too?

Quote "crashnburn11":  

What about that makes you want to quit playing? Are you going to quit playing if someone captures your asteroid or facility spams your drone factory too?

Asteroids/facilities are an even game, and figure directly into the final goal.
    PvP (except during actual warring, when people want to place drones) just feels like it's there to let coward bullies get off.

right now, if you pvp someone, you're prevented for another hour from hitting them.

Alternatively, you could extend this for the rest of the day, or do like other games - have a pvp-safe toggle. Your exempt from pvp unless you toggle it. If you do, you can't re-toggle it, and it resets if the emperor resets the game.

Additionally, the mechanism could be disabled (ie pvp free-for-all) if war happens - say over 69% occupied space on rollover...

But yeah - i dont see why you 'need' to steal trade exp as well as other stats + inventory items - pvp'ers already have all the incentive they need to pvp - don't see how 'trade' will make it better - thats just greedy.

Quote "xKiv":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Asteroids/facilities are an even game, and figure directly into the final goal.
    PvP (except during actual warring, when people want to place drones) just feels like it's there to let coward bullies get off.

Pvp is just as even, you can hit them, they can hit you. There is no more uneveness about that than capturing facilities or blowing them up. Some people choose to do it and others dont in all cases.

incentive isn't always the case, I have no real NEED to hit people, but it's a part of the game I do enjoy. Trade exp being thrown in wouldn't absolutely break things, but I do see how people would hate it....a lot. and the other nifty function I like is that after you are hit, you can't touch drones for like an hour...that's quite a feature in this game
  • Posted By: Arikel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Okay - generally I hate the PvP part of the game cause - frankly I suck at it. And I can totally see xKiv's point of view on it. Because while PvPers may love the whole thing and get a kick out of kicking someone's ass - well the continually ass-kicked don't find it so much fun. And already losing a crap ton of stats - adding in Trade is just one more nail.

That said - I also understand that PvP is a part of the game and makes sense and all that - I think the inability to drop drones after a hit is a vital part of the endgame drone war. Now there's all these neat do-dads [custom blasters - that do tend to offset things when going up in PvP] and ways to build to be an awesome PvPer & what not - why not look at putting forth some equal defensive stat builds and doohickeys for those who continually find themselves at the bad end of a gun - miner's defense or something - cause those little panic buttons, boo. :)
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Arikel":  

why not look at putting forth some equal defensive stat builds and doohickeys for those who continually find themselves at the bad end of a gun - miner's defense or something - cause those little panic buttons, boo. :)

Panic buttons are the bane of at least one PvPer's existence. I know because he complains about them a lot. You are of course aware that you need to be idle for 5 minutes before they will work, right?

The only thing I would really consider changing in PvP would be 4 of the 6 Init rolls that happen, moderating them so high-statters don't just *always* win those rolls, when they happen. Needs more SQRT. :D
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Not complaining. Bug reporting :)

okie doke :)

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Pvp is just as even, you can hit them, they can hit you. There is no more uneveness about that than capturing facilities or blowing them up. Some people choose to do it and others dont in all cases.

Actually, I got sidetracked there. The difference was "I would not quit over a thing that happens within the game" vs. "I would quit over the game changing in a $foo direction".
  • Posted By: jigue01  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

panic button saved my butt twice the one time I learned WHY you don't stay parked over Earth...

Quote "jigue01":  

panic button saved my butt twice the one time I learned WHY you don't stay parked over Earth...

Well, to be fair, the panic button is the reason you got kicked from over earth in the first place

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Quote "jigue01":  

Well, to be fair, the panic button is the reason you got kicked from over earth in the first place

ok even I hate that one LOL

I thought earth was a pvp safezone?

You can get fought without weapons. Not sure if your weapons just don't count if the attacker is barefisted, or if the space button is checked before cheking for the weapons, or what.

Quote "xKiv":  

You can get fought without weapons. Not sure if your weapons just don't count if the attacker is barefisted, or if the space button is checked before cheking for the weapons, or what.

Me and sallyfox reported it as a bug in 2009, munk determined it a strategy and that you should not be able to freely float over earth
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "xKiv":  

looking at the code, the panic button doesn't even get looked at if you are armed in sector 1. However, I don't think anything stops someone from barefisting someone who *is* armed in sector 1. They would just be at a disadvantage.

Quote "munk":  

looking at the code, the panic button doesn't even get looked at if you are armed in sector 1. However, I don't think anything stops someone from barefisting someone who *is* armed in sector 1. They would just be at a disadvantage.

So ... armed attacker = nothing happens.
    But unarmed attacker does normal attack, and that can trigger space button? Because that seems to be happening?
    (and armed defender just cannot do anything, because pvp doesn't allow changing weapons, unlike planetside combat)

This is how it works in reality:

Case 1: Armed Attacker - Nothing Happens
    Case 2: Unarmed attacker, Armed Defender, No Panic Button - Nothing Happens
    Case 3: Unarmed attacker, Armed Defender, Panic Button+Idle - Panicked to another sector
    Case 4: Unarmed Attacker, Unarmed Defender, no panic or not idle - PvP

Quote "crashnburn11":  

This is how it works in reality:

Case 3: Unarmed attacker, Armed Defender, Panic Button+Idle - Panicked to another sector

you forgot to add something here:

Case 3: Unarmed attacker, Armed Defender, Panic Button+Idle - Panicked to another sector - tears

And, presumably,
    Cast 5: Unarmed Attacker, Unarmed Defender, Panic Button+Idle - Panicked to another sector, even more tears
    ?