HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

So I saw the new Star Wars...

Secret Society Wars  »  General Discusso

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

So I saw the new Star Wars...
    .. and no spoilers or anything, but dang, does JJ Abrams not know how solar systems work? six planets sharing an orbit, close enough that the inhabitants of these planets can see what's happening to the other planets just by looking off a balcony in a city so full of light pollution it's likely you wouldn't even be able to see the moon???

Other than that and a whole lotta not providing logical motivation for anyone to be doing what they're doing, it was pretty good.. Most importantly, NO JAR-JAR character! :D
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Yeah, I'd have to see that scene again, really. I'm not sure if those were planets, or possibly moons, or orbital platforms or ship yards maybe? But yeah, that seemed an awfully tight-packed celestial target range.

Interesting weapon, though... not sure about how the energy particles could hope to keep cohesion over such distances for any sort of effectively destructive strike like was shown. Maybe they're warped somehow or something. They certainly seemed to have a heavy kinetic aspect to their damage, rather than the straight forward atomization I'd more "expect" from such an apparent plasma type weapon.

Anyhow, good flick, looking forward to VIII.
  • Posted By: UniqueCrash5  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

.. and no spoilers or anything, but dang, does JJ Abrams not know how solar systems work?

I'm going with either "No" or "He does but he doesn't care". Remember Spock getting a great view of the destruction of Vulcan from Delta Vega in Star Trek: the Star Trek? Same deal really.

It had a few moments that had me doing the quizzical dog expression, such as the above mentioned liberties with how space works, and the fact that had Captain Chrome-dome (Phasma) decided not to drop the shields with a gun to her head but instead have some guts and say "You know what, you got nothin - shoot me, I dare you," the entire plan would have collapsed.

Still, overall I quite liked the film. Seeing it was very emotional experience for me because of the special place that the original trilogy holds in my heart, and I was cautious (I've been hurt before - haven't we all?).

Have y'all seen the Star Wars: Despecialized Editions? They're incredible to behold - frame for frame the original theatrical releases but in blue-ray quality. I haven't seen those scenes just like that as clearly as that since the 1970s, I swear it. Just incredible.
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

oh, and
    clearly the third time wasn't the charm for the whole Death Star idea. Next one's gonna have to be the size of a sun and eat entire star systems for fuel.
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

oh, and
    clearly the third time wasn't the charm for the whole Death Star idea. Next one's gonna have to be the size of a sun and eat entire star systems for fuel.

At least they put some armour on the exhaust port this time...
  • Posted By: UniqueCrash5  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Heh, the spoiler tag is a tricky thing on mobile (for me anyway).

I'm standing in line at Walmart to return some crap - shopping with the wife, then we're going to see it (first time for her). She will of course be aghast but unsurprised at JJs wilful ignorance of astronomy, heh.
  • Posted By: Langers  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Me sah likeed it sooo much!

The first one has a special place in my heart. I was 10 years old and my brother was 9 when we saw it at the drive-in in Canada. We were freaky fools for days after.
    I live in Wales these days and my bro' rang me up for commiserations on the day the last Ottawa drive-in closed... Boo-Hoo!
    The new one gave me a particular thrill. Uh... spoiler tags? I dunno. I'll just say I've been to... Yes! I have...
    A Star Wars location.
    Wee!
    And Double-Wee!
    Its a place in Ireland (er, I mean far far away) that's not easy to get to. Hee! Hee! (Langers slaps his light sabre across the keyboard)

Wee! Wee! Wee!