HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

someone mentioned wanting random space disasters..

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

someone mentioned wanting random space disasters..
    It was a passing comment, and I forgot who, but the idea was floated for the occasional "act of God" sort of happenstance in space to mix things up. Think of plagues and earthquakes in your basic civ 4x or I recall that TW2002 had some sort of disaster that would randomly wreak havok on a certain sector of space.

I'm thinking "Drone Apathy" which occasionally infects a random sector of space containing drones, where:

1) if there are only a few drones guarding the sector, they get lonely and run away.

2)If there are more than some arbitrary number between say 100 and 1000 guarding the sector, a random number run away that is smaller if the number is larger, to reflect the greater discipline within the larger ranks.

3) if there are more than 1000 guarding the sector, no defections occur.

whatchoo think?
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I like it.

I would also like if space panic buttons worked only 50% it the time. They seem to make floating entirely too safe
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

It was a passing comment, and I forgot who, but the idea was floated for the occasional "act of God" sort of happenstance in space to mix things up. Think of plagues and earthquakes in your basic civ 4x or I recall that TW2002 had some sort of disaster that would randomly wreak havok on a certain sector of space.

I'm thinking "Drone Apathy" which occasionally infects a random sector of space containing drones, where:

1) if there are only a few drones guarding the sector, they get lonely and run away.

2)If there are more than some arbitrary number between say 100 and 1000 guarding the sector, a random number run away that is smaller if the number is larger, to reflect the greater discipline within the larger ranks.

3) if there are more than 1000 guarding the sector, no defections occur.

whatchoo think?

wow, yeah really gets the societies to keep at your sectors daily, love it

actually, in endgame for the defender, it could be hourly sector checks, since most of space is filled with your drones, and probably pretty thinly spread in most sectors. Your chances of defection go up because you own so many lightly defended sectors. so ponder that as well. could make it tough for endgame defense.

Quote "munk":  

actually, in endgame for the defender, it could be hourly sector checks, since most of space is filled with your drones, and probably pretty thinly spread in most sectors. Your chances of defection go up because you own so many lightly defended sectors. so ponder that as well. could make it tough for endgame defense.

oh...ouch that would suck. how about instead of 1000, the number was 100? that would still keep people (like me) from occupying vast sectors with only 1 drone, but make endgame a little easier since usually drones at that time tend to be 50 or 100 in most places. at 50, a few could take off and it wouldn't compromise the sector for a couple more hours...maybe a 10% loss of drones up to 100 per hour? that would give the society a bit with the 50....what maybe 9 hours before you would have to beef it up?

I'm good with it. If you can't make it 1000 drones in your sectors it should be a little tougher to win the endgame. If it is only a small amount of drones deserting per hour that can be managed by a team.
  • Posted By: Squiffle  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

As long as we can also find the place where those drones end up - do they just go sit in the drone equivalent of a bar somewhere ? Do they become drones-for-hire ? Is there a drone version of the French Foreign Legion ? Maybe there's an asteroid somewhere with an entire drone civilisation, living a uniquely dronoid lifestyle ? Inquiring minds want to know...

Quote "Squiffle":  

As long as we can also find the place where those drones end up - do they just go sit in the drone equivalent of a bar somewhere ? Do they become drones-for-hire ? Is there a drone version of the French Foreign Legion ? Maybe there's an asteroid somewhere with an entire drone civilisation, living a uniquely dronoid lifestyle ? Inquiring minds want to know...

They would be very efficient at running away. you would never see them again.

Still, this is an idea for the next cycle, so don't worry that it will start anytime soon. Just sounding out the idea.
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Seems excessive to me. The first time this affected the outcome of a war it would go badly.
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I like the concept. Interesting, another wrinkle, and really... we do need those. In my opinion, anyway. I'd have to think it over more, when I'm not just about to crash at 5am to boot, but yeah. I like it in general.

Could we get a bit more specific numbers on what it might look like, potential of it happening, frequency of occurrence, potential losses in 'partial' scenarios, thresholds for the density levels and ratios kept/lost in the partial scenarios and such?

Just to think over the details a bit more, have a bit better idea of potential real hard impacts and such...

rough mechanic:

1) hourly, a dice is rolled. 1 in 10 chance for Drone Apathy to strike a non-planetary sector.

2) if Apathy is rolled, random sector chosen, see if there are any drones there. if not, Apathy is avoided for that hour. Chance: 1 in 10 and then likelihood of randomly choosing a droned sector.

3) if drones are there, Apathy strikes.
    3a) less than 100, all vanish. sector is cleared.
    3b) between 100-1000, a random number run away that is smaller if the number is larger, to reflect the greater discipline within the larger ranks. As long as the number is greater than 100, they will likely *not* all run away, so sector is still safe.
    3c) if >1000, no defections occur. Apathy is avoided for another hour.

At worst case you lose one sector per hour, hardly seems like a massive deal for the endgame. And really it is only 1/10 of the time someone might lose a sector, and only if there is less that 1000 drones in the one that is picked. Seems to me a cool idea.

Would the emperor's drones be exempt?

Quote "crashnburn11":  

At worst case you lose one sector per hour, hardly seems like a massive deal for the endgame. And really it is only 1/10 of the time someone might lose a sector, and only if there is less that 1000 drones in the one that is picked. Seems to me a cool idea.

the fear, i think, would be that a sector in the middle of a long tunnel gets exposed, and someone rushes in and cleans out the tunnel, which might be long enough to spoil the win.

However, depending on how i generate the next universe maze, that might be a non-issue. There'll be more planets busting things up anyway.

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Would the emperor's drones be exempt?

nope.

Quote "munk":  

rough mechanic:

1) hourly, a dice is rolled. 1 in 10 chance for Drone Apathy to strike a non-planetary sector.

2) if Apathy is rolled, random sector chosen, see if there are any drones there. if not, Apathy is avoided for that hour. Chance: 1 in 10 and then likelihood of randomly choosing a droned sector.

3) if drones are there, Apathy strikes.
    3a) less than 100, all vanish. sector is cleared.
    3b) between 100-1000, a random number run away that is smaller if the number is larger, to reflect the greater discipline within the larger ranks. As long as the number is greater than 100, they will likely *not* all run away, so sector is still safe.
    3c) if >1000, no defections occur. Apathy is avoided for another hour.

ah...ok I was thinking all sectors getting apathy at one shot every hour......yeah this is MUCH better than I was thinking LOL! sweet! and yeah puts a spin on it, really cool and I even smell an ITOM way down the road to help with drone apathy (way down.....)
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Yay for new IOTMs! Shut up, and take my e-peen!

Quote "grimdel":  

what, the double-platinum card wasn't enough?
  • Posted By: adsynth  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I support Chaotic elements in Gameplay!

Quote "munk":  

Quote "grimdel":  

what, the double-platinum card wasn't enough?

My head distinctly lacks an IOTM that is very useful when doing things planetside

Quote "crashnburn11":  

My head distinctly lacks an IOTM that is very useful when doing things planetside

that is actually handy to know.