HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

Space Traders start getting a bit more generous after tonight's roll, and other stuff

Secret Society Wars  »  Announcements

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Space Traders start getting a bit more generous after tonight's roll, and other stuff
    I've raised the high end of the Trading Port markup in the nightly function that determines the daily prices. This will result in higher max buying prices.

This is yet another of the fine-tuning bits I'm doing in an attempt to basically make script-farming unattractive. First we addressed the issue of too many turns and not enough trades in a few ways by making turns harder to get and trades much easier to get for those at level 33. Now we are making port trading more profitable.

Additionally, I've been interested in addressing the very fast ramp-up of item drops for farmers. This is due to the fact that it was fairly easy to hit near 100% drops within a couple of month of a start of a cycle just by script-farming and statting up fast. This results in players farming literally thousands of last call pills, hundreds of copies of what are supposed to be very rare weapons, and piles and piles of trash to autosell for riches. Farming pays too well for it to be avoided by players wishing to optimize their performance. Had to do something about that to help make Trades more valuable to 33's than Turns are.

To that end I have applied new functions this week to:

1) monster drops - stat rolls are now sqrt'd instead of divided, which makes the ramp-up of stats much less effective in minimizing the effect of RNG on "rare" items dropped. Whereas , it'll now take you longer to do that than a cycle is likely to last. Players with low stats (dimitters and people starting out) will have the same basic RNG that they've always enjoyed.

2) Monster Cash: It's been reduced quite a bit.

But wait, there's more! Mazes cost a lot of turns. Muhahaha. We've been increasing the incentives for you to do them, though, from maze-only tasty mobs to bonus loot for completing them. To sweeten the pot some more, briefcases (that mostly drop from mazes) are now more likely to pay out turns and prizes than they are to just dissolve in a flash of light.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Can my now basically useless magnatronic and green giant items get some kind of awesome new use? Maybe making trading money instead of combat money?
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

For those of us using the find function, can you say what the high end is going to be?
  • Posted By: Schmurrr  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I noticed that the briefcases were behaving differently.

Quote "crashnburn11":  

Can my now basically useless magnatronic and green giant items get some kind of awesome new use? Maybe making trading money instead of combat money?

Yes.

Quote "BabylonHoruv":  

For those of us using the find function, can you say what the high end is going to be?

not till tonight. (:
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Additionally, I've been interested in addressing the very fast ramp-up of item drops for farmers. This is due to the fact that it was fairly easy to hit near 100% drops within a couple of month of a start of a cycle just by script-farming and statting up fast. This results in players farming literally thousands of last call pills, hundreds of copies of what are supposed to be very rare weapons, and piles and piles of trash to autosell for riches. Farming pays too well for it to be avoided by players wishing to optimize their performance. Had to do something about that to help make Trades more valuable to 33's than Turns are.

To that end I have applied new functions this week to:

1) monster drops - stat rolls are now sqrt'd instead of divided, which makes the ramp-up of stats much less effective in minimizing the effect of RNG on "rare" items dropped. Whereas , it'll now take you longer to do that than a cycle is likely to last. Players with low stats (dimitters and people starting out) will have the same basic RNG that they've always enjoyed.

so the only thing that worries me is the ingredients of some of the better foods and drinks. They are rare and usually with higher stats we can get them fairly easily; but if the drop rates are made harder, then most people won't bother with the nifty changes you've made and just settle for the store bought items. In interest of all the hard work that you guys have put into making the food changes, maybe some of the more rarer items could be added to other mobs (like the bamboo cane)
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I've been able to gather enough to make myself a small amount of the better foods. I'm thinking if you increased drops for that stuff I would be back to making thousands of them, which shouldn't really be the point for the best foods

Quote "crashnburn11":  

I've been able to gather enough to make myself a small amount of the better foods. I'm thinking if you increased drops for that stuff I would be back to making thousands of them, which shouldn't really be the point for the best foods

agreed. (:
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "crashnburn11":  

glad your drop rates are still good LOL!, took me 25 turns to find the cane wielding colonel 3 times...and didn't get the cane once with my stats, what I'm saying is if I have to burn that many turns to get something, (and I haven't got one yet), then most people will just settle for the store bought stuff. and not really saying we need more drop rates, but more mobs that might drop them. too bad we can't make a bamboo cane with bamboo LOL
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

There comes a point where you're happy with everything and it all goes on autopilot, right? ;)

Quote "datacore":  

There comes a point where you're happy with everything and it all goes on autopilot, right? ;)

Was pondering making some updates on the degree quests.