HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

SSW Game Theory going forward.

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

SSW Game Theory going forward.
    I would like to discuss the *why* of this apparent crusade I'm currently waging against farming, because really, I'm in effect going after a certain playstyle. The reason why is two-fold:

1) We want the game to be appealing to new players so we get new players. We also want the server to be able to handle new players efficiently.

2) NPC content and the degrees should introduce players to the basic story and playing mechanics of the endgame, but it should not *be* endgame.

To address these things, we've already broadened the range of things food does and brought the turns down and trades up. Soon, I'll be reducing the amount of consumables that very high-stat users can eat/drink. We've reduced the material payout of high-stat farming and raised the profit from trade ports.

and it's not yet enough. But, it is still impacting things in ways that need to be addressed, like waves in a pond:

1) Quests need things whose drop rates are effectively too rng-y (and were even before the changes). Quests are difficult and often do not really advance the story of the game or teach anything useful about how to play it.

2) Trading/Mining are still not attractive enough to displace farming as a way to burn turns at 33. They are not yet optimal enough to make up for the dent that the changes have made to what was previously the optimal playstyle.

So these are the things we'll be addressing going forward, with the goal of making quests way less RNG-ey and more storyline/skill-advancing. Yes, it means we're planning on ripping out entire quests/planets and replacing them. Yes, it means quite a lot of new content, and that prolly won't break your hearts. That stuff is in the planning stage now, and won't happen in earnest until the end of the cycle and anarchy period.

First, more to fine-tune the incentives to trade/mine and not farm while making quests a bit easier, I'll be adding stat/exp gains for traders/miners and their DP's at trade ports and asteroids, and might even make an equipped DP help you when mining and trading. Autosell prices for all dropped items will be looked at and lowered a lot, and base drop rates will be raised a lot. Basically, you'll get more things you need, but they won't autosell for as much, and Trading/Mining will start giving you the stats you miss out on by not farming. I also think that max trades needs a bump to match the increased trade regeneration. This all is what's coming soon.

TL;DR Planets and NPCs are the training grounds. We're making quests easier and less RNG, but really trying hard to make mobs unattractive to farm because we want 33's in SPACE, where it's scary and dangerous and exciting. Trading and Mining are getting better, hopefully better enough that you won't want to farm. DON'T PANIC!
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Sounds yummy, delicious, and full of taste.
  • Posted By: crashnburn11  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I'm just farming food ingredients anymore, farming for autosell was effectively nerfed with the drops. I can understand if you plan to increase drops though. As it stands right now mining is more effective than farming for autosell, but high level food is more effective than mining.

The way it is set up now dimiting is a viable endgame strategy, which does make the degrees part of the endgame. If you make the quests even easier it will make dimiting even easier.
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "crashnburn11":  

...but high level food is more effective than mining.

clarify?

Quote "crashnburn11":  

The way it is set up now dimiting is a viable endgame strategy, which does make the degrees part of the endgame. If you make the quests even easier it will make dimiting even easier.

This could be addressed, perhaps by differentiating between a "thaw" (non-dimit) questline concentrating on training the new user, and a "dimit" questline concentrating on the kind of grindy stuff that happens now.

Note: I do understand that disincentivizing farming interferes with food farming, but I would submit that a 33 shouldn't be wasting turns farming food. That should be the role of your dimitters, who would be getting those supplies as easy drops as they grind through these theoretical new dimit questlines.
  • Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

but I would submit that a 33 shouldn't be wasting turns farming food.

It's not a waste if "spend some turns farming items, craft best food, eat best food" leaves me with more turns (and trades!) than "buy something and eat it".
    If I am getting supplies from dimitters, somebody has still spent those turns. Maybe somebody with better item drops, maybe not. But it also means they can't send me other things. And I can eat a lot, with decent constitution + restroom + laxative pants.
  • Posted By: Julionics  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I will admit that I was farming earlier to get the better stats to make it easier for drops on things. Now I find me not using the greasmonkey script to farm but going to specific mobs to get the high end trade food/drink. I am finding now I have a lot of turns left but little trades unless I eat/drink, and this increases my turns so that I can farm more of the trade food/drink again.

I know that most of the stats that a lot of us have maybe wouldn't have been as high but we did start without the reset (and while still trying to figure things out) so we had big stats from the get go.

All in all some welcome changes to a game that we are all passionate about.

Thank you to all who contribute to expanding/fine-tuning the game.
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

Quote "crashnburn11":  

...but high level food is more effective than mining.

clarify?

Quote "crashnburn11":  

This could be addressed, perhaps by differentiating between a "thaw" (non-dimit) questline concentrating on training the new user, and a "dimit" questline concentrating on the kind of grindy stuff that happens now.

Note: I do understand that disincentivizing farming interferes with food farming, but I would submit that a 33 shouldn't be wasting turns farming food. That should be the role of your dimitters, who would be getting those supplies as easy drops as they grind through these theoretical new dimit questlines.

Farming for food now is more for getting the daily quests done for battle tokens, crafting some of these food items means grinding until you get that rare item to make the correct item, and you can only do those at 33, so that is still a good way, but I love the changes coming, I only spend enough turns to get a couple of things for stats then concentrate on daily quests.

also love the DP incentive, as it stands now, it's easier to PVP without a DP, so I never equip one, but if they get exp at traders, or can help you mine I may use them more (or others will so I can hitz themz)