HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

The Ebay stuff at the bottom

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

The Ebay stuff at the bottom
    Ebay ads, what's the deal? Well, as we make plans to bring more traffic to SSW, one of the things I'll be doing is making many of the social content pages (Homeworlds, galleries, etc) Search Engine indexable and see if we can get some nice Google traffic. Along with the potential new users also comes literally thousands of browsers who will just come to look at stuff and then click away without ever signing up. My experience with the TWDB has been that if I can offer them some interesting ad to click away to, we can generate a buck or two a day in affiliate fees - basically a cut of the fee that Ebay charges a seller of an item bought on Ebay.

What determines the ads shown? Well, I felt that we should be listing things that the people who like SSW seem to like, so I ran a scrape of what things players have entered into the "Things I Like" boxes in their homeworlds, and ranked them by how often the keywords showed up. The function chooses a random keyword each pageload and shows up to 4 results. This should result in everyone being shown things that are usually interesting to their tastes.

Do you need to click on them? Well, if you see something you're interested in, sure! No pressure, though. this is mainly meant for the upcoming publically-viewable (to non-logged-in people) pages and potential Search Engine traffic.

Note that if you do buy anything from Ebay from clicking on these ads, the cut they give us is taken from the fee charged to the seller, so it doesn't cost you anything extra - you're basically forcing Ebay and the seller to donate a few coins to the kitty. :D
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Very nice, and I don't mind the ads a bit at the bottom of the page. Box set of M*A*S*H? drool
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

ok stupid question here. Many of us haven't updated those "things I like" pages in quite awhile, so maybe if we did some queries may be different? not sure how all this works (and am amazed that I think I used the word query correctly) so I'm off to add some of the newer things I like, and I implore you all to do the same just in case
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

NICKLEBACK cd's? O.o
  • Posted By: TFwO  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Rakkasan":  

NICKLEBACK cd's? O.o

they make great kindling
  • Posted By: Vladrin  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Salen":  

ok stupid question here. Many of us haven't updated those "things I like" pages in quite awhile, so maybe if we did some queries may be different? not sure how all this works (and am amazed that I think I used the word query correctly) so I'm off to add some of the newer things I like, and I implore you all to do the same just in case

Updated, we will see if I get different ads

Quote "Vladrin":  

Quote "Salen":  

Updated, we will see if I get different ads

I'll have to run the scrape again, it's not automatic. I have to manually clean out crap that happens when people don't follow the format. pulling data from free-entry textareas is kind of a pain.

actually, I have a better idea... hmmn..

Quote "Rakkasan":  

NICKLEBACK cd's? O.o

• Posted By: Tiberivs  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Who the fuck still listens to Nickleback
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Jesse's girl & Stacy's mom?
  • Posted By: ShyiLhana  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Seriously Tibs??!!? You know I still listen to them and I always draw the Nickelback card in Cards Against Humanity!! They don't make me moist or anything but I do like them *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

Which begs the question...
  • Posted By: ShyiLhana  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Fuku, man!

;)

I removed the eBay ads for logged-in players last night because they did something odd to the maze navigation. not sure why. Instead, I came up with a better idea: Want to idly browse the many eBays of the world for interesting things? Try the new SSW eBay Hunter Tool!

Yeah, that actually does help out. If you use this tool to find things on the world's eBays and eventually end up buying something, we get a small cut of the fee that eBay charges the seller. You find fun stuff, and we get a few nickles from the seller. Every little bit helps! :D

Additionally, this tool saves all keyword searches made in a database (anonymously - I'm only tracking the keywords and how often they were searched for, not your playerid) so that we can eventually (when there's maybe 100 or so records in there) use this database instead of the old one I scraped from the homeworlds to feed the ads that show up for not-logged-in peeps. Right now your search terms will just populate the list at the bottom of the page under "20 Last Searches".

So go search the worlds eBays for stuff you like, and pack that database full of fun and interesting search keywords! (:
  • Posted By: Julionics  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "Tiberivs":  

Who the fuck still listens to Nickleback

I turn and look and Jungle is sitting reverse cowgirl style t-bagging this guys forehead screaming I'm a bucking bronco.. rangers lead the way!