HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

The Iron Age of TV SciFi: Quark, 1978

Secret Society Wars  »  General Discusso

• Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

The Iron Age of TV SciFi: Quark, 1978
    Ahh, 1978 - the year after Star Wars awoke the world to science fiction again. Television jumped on the gravy train in 1978, but television was about sketch comedy in the late 70's, and so while there were semi-serious attempts at SciFi like "Battlestar Galactica" and "Logan's Run", there were also attempts where it was obvious that staff writers were visited one morning by an executive shouting "We Need a Science Fiction Show *NOW*!"

The result, as you can expect, was "Quark" with Richard Benjamin playing the captain of an interstellar garbage scow in an only occasionally funny Trek parody.

For your enjoyment, the pilot episode of "Quark", 1978
  • Posted By: grimdel  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Pretty sure Logan's Run (the movie) pre-dated star wars, but can't remember when the TV series was made.

As for 'We need a SciFi Show NOW' - I point to Battlestar Galactica 1980...

Also, a decade later, 'Space Rangers' from CBS probably a kneejerk response to Firefly...
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "grimdel":  

Pretty sure Logan's Run (the movie) pre-dated star wars, but can't remember when the TV series was made.

the TV series ran 1977-78. Film was 1976.

Quote "grimdel":  

As for 'We need a SciFi Show NOW' - I point to Battlestar Galactica 1980...

heh, BSG 1980 was just BSG with a quarter of the budget and new writers. BSG (like the reboot later) got kinda weird and mystical towards the end and I seem to recall BSG 1980 was basically "Yay, we found Earth and it sucks."

Buck Rodgers was a fairly decent show around that time too. Mmmm, Erin Gray in white spandex... I'll be in my bunk.
  • Posted By: datacore  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Gah that was unwatchable.

But yeah, Erin Gray. Mmm.
  • Posted By: adsynth  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "munk":  

heh, BSG 1980 was just BSG with a quarter of the budget and new writers. BSG (like the reboot later) got kinda weird and mystical towards the end and I seem to recall BSG 1980 was basically "Yay, we found Earth and it sucks."

It agree, it become too metaphysical and more of an uncreative comment on modern society.
      Quote "munk":  

Buck Rodgers was a fairly decent show around that time too. Mmmm, Erin Gray in white spandex... I'll be in my bunk.

bedee beedee
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "adsynth":  

Quote "munk":  

It agree, it become too metaphysical and more of an uncreative comment on modern society.
      Quote "munk":  

bedee beedee

beedee bedee beddee wowee!
  • Posted By: UniqueCrash5  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

The main things I recall from Battlestar Galactica 1980 were the cool flying bikes and the fact that microwave ovens killed Cylons. Handy survival tip, that.