HOME     LOGIN     CREATE ACCOUNT     SSW HELP CENTER  

You send your doppelpet to waste a turn.

Secret Society Wars  »  SSW Discussion

• Posted By: xKiv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

You send your doppelpet to waste a turn.
    Our characters are morons. In pvp, they keep sending out doppelpets to do zero damage, wasting an entire round. They even keep doing it multiple times in the same fight, after it's obvious that this opponent won't get hurt. (but they won't fire a gun just because it's out of range?)
    So, in space, having a DP out or not is not really a choice. You have a DP out for mining, but you don't want it out otherwise (even if you don't plan to pvp, you may get attacked).
    I believe that a game decision should not be "did you forget take the only option that makes sense?".

(it's not even a choice when mining, a miner will lose because of the mining tool(s) equipped instead of a decent weapon).

I believe that our characters should be smarter than that.

Say what?
  • Posted By: Salen  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I think as players we should be mindful of not just our DP's but even equipment. Are we morons cause we had the wrong helmet on? wouldn't they know to have the right one on? or weapons ? Do you know how many fights I've won cause someone forgot they had melee weapons on? it's all a part of not auto-botting the game, if we all watch what we do, and check our stuff, then we wouldn't need to worry about sending dopplepets out to attack, throw em in the cage and run like fun for the sun :) but that's just my thoughts

At least the equipment I have on does have non-pvp consequences (like which item it uses as fuel; many more for iotm-havers).

Also, I didn't call us morons for *having* DP out for pvp. I called us morons for sending it to attack the other player.
  • Posted By: BabylonHoruv  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

You want them out for mining, but you also want mining tools out to mine, which are about the worst possible PVP weapons. I think making sure everyone knows putting your pet away n space is a good idea is a good thing, but having them jump into a fight and make you waste a turn is a price to pay for the help with mining.

This is coming from someone who is likely to get penalized by this, since I do a lot of mining and very little PVP.

Quote "BabylonHoruv":  

but having them jump into a fight and make you waste a turn is a price to pay for the help with mining.

How is it a price if the result is the same?
  • Posted By: zydecopolka  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

How does a DP helping you mine mean you need to let it waste a combat turn in a fight? The two are unrelated. Yes, they help you mine, awesome! Yes, they suck at PvP, boo! Having your pets waste your combat turns is just...lame. Unless they actually do something. Which they don't. Now. But they could. Later!

Maybe something that could ramp up with their xp levels could be skills for pvp, mining, not being just another mouth to feed? Like, X# chance of whisking you away to a random sector via teleportation if you have on mining tools, or, an X% chance of landing a hit slightly less than the range of your equipped weapons, or preventing your opponent from hitting you, c'mon guys, I don't even pvp and that's like 3 or 4 things right there.

Munk, we <3 you and ssw, DPs, not so much. They can do better, and we want them to!
  • Posted By: Rickton  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Why does sending out a DP use a turn in PvP anyway? In PvE when they attack it's at the same time as you.

Quote "Rickton":  

Why does sending out a DP use a turn in PvP anyway? In PvE when they attack it's at the same time as you.

The narrative justification is "you send your pet ...", i.e. *you* waste a round just commanding your pet instead of moving or attacking.
    Which is what I frame as "our characters are morons". They are forced to be stupid by game mechanics that don't even have mechanical justification, other than "punish players who don't know this or forget to toss their pet".
  • Posted By: munk  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

Quote "xKiv":  

Which is what I frame as "our characters are morons". They are forced to be stupid by game mechanics that don't even have mechanical justification, other than "punish players who don't know this or forget to toss their pet".

I would like to note that this isn't a "punishment". DP's actually do appreciable damage when player stats aren't insane. There is just a point at which they become useless in PvP and aren't worth carrying around. Framing this as a punishment is "improper attitude" as they say in the Mobile Infantry. (:

Votes seem to be slightly favoring buffing the DP over just not sending it out, but if the question were framed as a simple yes/no on "should DPs participate in PvP", I'm betting it would be a runaway "no". Clouding the issue by pondering adding yet more things for DPs to do in PvP seems to me to simply be asking for more randomness, which is exactly what you don't want.

I would point out that simply removing the DP from the PvP equation would mean that every round is your weapons vs your opponent's weapons, IE: more skill vs skill, insofar as your choice of weapons and determination in gaining stats is a "skill". If this is what you want, I'd suggest framing the question as a yes/no on "should DPs participate in PvP".
  • Posted By: Rakkasan  homeworld | blog | gallery | player profile

I'm all for the idea of having DP skills roll out one day and having them do different stuff in PvP would be amusing at least, if perhaps not vastly rewarding.

That said, a simple "Use / Don't use DP in combat" toggle probably wouldn't hurt any, nor be amiss...